Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Appending 2 related tables to 2 new tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtenzer

MIS
Nov 14, 2001
US
I have a small database on a SharePoint site. I created 2 new tables - Orders and OrderDetails. The database is now working online, but I need to append Orders and OrderDetails from the original stand alone database for history. How can I append the data in the old tables and keep the relationships between the orders and the details?

Can you please list the fields for each table and any keys between them? Are they separate access databases? One way would be to link the tables from the online db to the archive db, and in the archive db, you can create a method (Append Query) to append where all fields are not the same, or the key field doesn't yet exist. If this was in SQL, you could run a trigger to manage this, or a job to run daily.

My question is why you need to copy data from one place to another. Is this to keep an audit trail history or what was on the site at a given time, vs right now?

misscrf

It is never too late to become what you could have been ~ George Eliot

Thank you. I was able to figure this out a couple of months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back