Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

append to table, sql 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2003
US
Hope you can help me. We lost an employee who is well versed in sql server 2000. I am assigned the task to rescue a job we have. He set up an web based program for us that incorporates the use of a database containing 8 tables. All the functions work well, the web site runs fine also. My problem is how to append additional data to only one of the tables in the database maybe two. My primary question is do I use Enterprise manager... this doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can tell.. or do I need to use the Query Analyzer? Also, it is a maze to me.. I know Foxpro but not versed in SQL 2000. Can you point me in the right direction? Am I in over my head? Thanks for any help

I am not sure I completely understand your situation, but if you are simply inserting new data into the tables and not changing anything structurally to the database then it should be as simple as:
Code:
INSERT INTO database.owner.tablename (field1, field2, etc.)
  VALUES (value1, value2, etc.)
or...
Code:
INSERT INTO database.owner.tablename (field1, field2, etc.)
  SELECT  field1, field2, etc.
  FROM  database.owner.othertablename
If this is not what you are after, can you elaborate?

HTH,
John

No, not changing any structures. This is a good start. What utility is it I use? Query analyzer?

The code I typed above represents what you would type into query analyzer.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back