Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Append Query Where Clause Coding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjschmitz

Technical User
Feb 4, 2008
US
Basically I am trying to combine certain fields from two tables into one using an append query. The trick comes in that I want to only include records that have changed since the query was last run. When I first run my query, I get the results expected to populate the desired table (Unit_Bid_test).

I must not be nesting my WHERE Clause correctly, because I can pass updates from my Unit_Pricing table just fine, but updates made to my Eligible_Bidders table are unseccessful. Here is the base query:

Code:
INSERT INTO Unit_Bid_test ( Bid_Tab_ID, Unit_Price_ID )
SELECT Eligible_Bidders.Bid_Tab_ID, Unit_Pricing.Unit_Price_ID
FROM Eligible_Bidders, Unit_Pricing

WHERE (((Unit_Pricing.Project_ID)=[Eligible_Bidders].[Project_ID])) OR (((Eligible_Bidders.Project_ID)=[Unit_Pricing].[Project_ID]));

I have added criteria to the WHERE clause in an attempt to limit the appending of the table to new records:

Code:

WHERE (((Eligible_Bidders.Bid_Tab_ID) Not In (select Bid_Tab_ID from Eligible_Bidders)) AND ((Unit_Pricing.Project_ID)=[Eligible_Bidders].[Project_ID])) OR (((Unit_Pricing.Unit_Price_ID) Not In (select Unit_Price_ID from Unit_Bid_test)) AND ((Eligible_Bidders.Project_ID)=[Unit_Pricing].[Project_ID]));

This seems to work for updates made to the Unit_Pricing table, but not updates made to the Eligible_Bidders table.

Any idea how to nest the WHERE statement to correct this issue?

Lack access to the DB right now, but I think my issue was using:

Code:
((Eligible_Bidders.Bid_Tab_ID) Not In (select Bid_Tab_ID from Eligible_Bidders))

and not

Code:
((Eligible_Bidders.Bid_Tab_ID) Not In (select Bid_Tab_ID from Unit_Bid_test))

My table structure is as follows:

Code:
Eligible_Bidders
   Bid_Tab_ID   dbLong  PrimaryKey  Indexed
   Project_ID   dbLong  ForiegnKey  Indexed
   Contractor_ID   dbLong  ForiegnKey  Indexed
   Bid_Amount   dbCurrency

Unit_Bid_test
   Unit_Tab_ID   dbLong  PrimaryKey  Indexed
   Bid_Tab_ID   dbLong  ForiegnKey  Indexed
   Unit_Price_ID   dbLong  ForiegnKey  Indexed
   Unit_Amount   dbCurrency

Unit_Pricing
   Unit_Price_ID   dbLong  PrimaryKey  Indexed
   Project_ID   dbLong
   Unit_Price_Number   dbLong
   Unit_Price_Desc   dbText

The Eligible_Bidders table is created using a many to many relationship between a Projects table and a Contractors table. The Projects_ID field is also found in the Unit_Pricing table to that Project Managers can add a unit cost to a given project.

And I have confirmed that the changes work:

Code:
WHERE (((Eligible_Bidders.Bid_Tab_ID) Not In (select Bid_Tab_ID from Unit_Bid_test)) AND ((Unit_Pricing.Project_ID)=[Eligible_Bidders].[Project_ID])) OR (((Unit_Pricing.Unit_Price_ID) Not In (select Unit_Price_ID from Unit_Bid_test)) AND ((Eligible_Bidders.Project_ID)=[Unit_Pricing].[Project_ID]));

I am now working to incorporate a delete query which will check for Unit Prices and Contractors that have been removed from the Unit_Pricing and Eligible_Bidders tables as well:

Code:
DELETE Unit_Bid_test.Bid_Tab_ID, Unit_Bid_test.Unit_Price_ID, Unit_Bid_test.Unit_Amount
FROM Unit_Bid_test
WHERE (((Unit_Bid_test.Bid_Tab_ID) Not In (select Bid_Tab_ID from Eligible_Bidders))) OR (((Unit_Bid_test.Unit_Price_ID) Not In (select Unit_Price_ID from Unit_Pricing)));

My question now is what best practice should I be using to execute these queries in succession? Can I combine them into a single query? Should I run them via VBA to ensure that the delete is done prior to the append?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back