Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Append Query vs Using Recordset vs SQL - which to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuKregor

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
AU
Two parts to me question...

One
I have a database that will potentially have 50-60 users. It will have a frontend located on each PC. Each user enters data into a form and when they hit enter it adds that data to the backend on the server.

To do this "adding" which is the quickest and safest from a locking perspective...

1. to use a simple "saved" append query to the linked table
2. Open a recordset and add
3. Use an SQL INSERT statement to the linked table

Two
Because users only ever add data to the back end I don't think I'm being too ambitious using access, but am I wrong?
Will 50-60 users possibly appending data at once bring the whole thing down around my head?

Thanks in advance.

Nice question. I have used all three with a front/back access application. What I have found works best (IMHO) is to have the user enter data to a local temp table then append the data from the temp table to the back end. This way any background additions/modifications can be carried out prior to posting to the back.

In reality though, any of the three ways will work fine. Use whichever you are more comfortable with.

The two things you're going to have to watch out for are duplicate entries and locking.

Using DAO and the .addnew method, if the record already exsists, you'll get a runtime error that you have to trap.

There's no real difference between a SQL statement and an saved append query. The append query would contain the SQL statement.... Tyrone Lumley
augerinn@gte.net

Thanks for the answers guys.

I have read that a saved query will run slightly faster than an SQL statement, although in this particular case it won't make much difference I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back