Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Append Query Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

matethreat

Technical User
Jan 5, 2004
AU
Hello,

I don't know if there is a way to solve this problem but, it's worth asking.

I have a table the holds procedures to complete jobs that our company produces over and over.

I have a second table that allows me to schedule people to jobs.

What I would like to be able to do is run a query that appends to the scheduling table all the steps created in the procedure table.

My problem is that the schedule table has a Job Number field and the procedure table does not. So, when I try to append to the Schedule table I cannot find a way of populating the Job Number Field.

What I have done is created a form with all the repetative jobs that are done here. You select the type of job from a pull down list and it displays all the steps required to complete that job in a subform. What I would like to be then able to do is in an unbound text box, type the Job Number, then press a command button to append all the steps with the job number attached to each step to the scheduling table. I can do it without the Job Number, but really need a way to have the job number included or the information is useless to me.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Destiny Is Not The Chances We Take, But The Descisions We Make.

I a hoping I understand your problem, but here goes.

Say your unbound text box you put the appropriate job number in, then you run your append query, and your job number field is Forms!MyForm!Jobnumber as Jobnuber.

ChaZ

How are ya matethreat . . . . .

What is the [blue]structure of the table holding procedures?[/blue]

Are the procedures stored in a [blue]Memo Field[/blue], [blue]TextBox[/blue] . . . what?

How are you [blue]grouping procedures[/blue] for a specific job?

Post the [purple]Table Names, Fields & Data Types[/purple] if you can . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Something like this ?
DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO SchedulingTable (field list) SELECT " & Me!txtJobNumber & ", field list FROM StepsTable WHERE ...."

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back