Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Append Query or Use Something Else to Merge Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

itdamon

MIS
Mar 18, 2002
US
Hi, I have a project where I have imported some Peachtree accounting data into an Access table called "tblPeachtree". I now need to get the "tblPeachtree" data (there are 45 fields) into a larger table (135 total fields) called "tblMOM" so I can transmit a .cvs file to a vendor using Mail Order Manager.

I have already defined which fields correlate with each other (i.e. "Customer ID" in Peachtree needs to go into a field called "CUSTNUM" for the MOM system). I'm just stuck on how I can merge this data. What would be the best practices? Create a new table? Use an Append Query? Sheesh.

I tried the below append query and it acts like it is working (no errors) but Clippy tells me I'm about to append zero rows. I want to update/append about 40 rows!

Here is the SQL if it helps. Hopefully I was clear enough in my description :) The [SO-HW2] table is the one I imported from Peachtree and the [tblExport2] table is the one I created with all the MOM fields that need updating.

INSERT INTO tblExport2 ( CUSTNUM, COMPANY, ALTNUM, ORDER_DATE, SHIP_WHEN, CUSTOM01, CUSTOM02, ORDERTYPE, SCOMPANY, SADDRESS1, SADDRESS2, SCITY, SSTATE, SZIPCODE, SCOUNTRY, PONUMBER, SHIPVIA, SALES_ID, ORDNOTE1, QUANTITY01, PRODUCT01, PRICE01 )
SELECT [SO-HW2].[Customer ID], [SO-HW2].[Customer Name], [SO-HW2].[Sales Order/Proposal Num], [SO-HW2].Date, [SO-HW2].[Ship By], [SO-HW2].Proposal, [SO-HW2].[Proposal Accepted], [SO-HW2].[Drop Ship], [SO-HW2].[Ship to Name], [SO-HW2].[Ship to Address-Line One], [SO-HW2].[Ship to Address-Line Two], [SO-HW2].[Ship to City], [SO-HW2].[Ship to State], [SO-HW2].[Ship to Zipcode], [SO-HW2].[Ship to Country], [SO-HW2].[Customer PO], [SO-HW2].[Ship Via], [SO-HW2].[Sales Representative ID], [SO-HW2].[Invoice Note], [SO-HW2].Quantity, [SO-HW2].[Item ID], [SO-HW2].[Unit Price]
FROM [SO-HW2], tblExport2;

Replace this:
FROM [SO-HW2], tblExport2
with this:
FROM [SO-HW2]

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back