Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Append query not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Introfield

Instructor
Apr 19, 2002
IT
My two tables contain exact matches on datatypes, there are no validation rules set, no required values set to yes and it all looks like my append query should work. However, I get an error message showing that of 3521 records, 3520 are not appended due to validation violations. There is no violation that I can see and upon checking the data in the original table I notice three new records have been appended (one for each of the 3 attempts?). The data in these new records is a copy of the field names. What's happening?

In my experience, the two most common reasons for that are unique indexes and fields that do not allow NULL values. Check your text fields and ensure that "Allow zero length" is set to "Yes". Second, look at any indexes that are defined. If they specify "Unique = Yes" then you must supply a value for them. Finally, your primary key must be unique and may not contain NULLs.

Looks like your query is entirely wrong. Can you cut the SQL and paste it here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back