Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APPEND PERIOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

torri

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2000
US
Can someone explain to me how the APPEND PERIOD works?? I have 2 jobs set-up, A differentail backup that runs Monday-Friday that I have set to Append for 7 days and a full backup set forn Saturday set for 2days append. I created 5 scratch tapes. I then assigned 1 tape to the Diff job and another to the Full backup job. I read in the Media Set Properties that the Append Period starts when the first backup job is written to this media. I have noticed, that when I assigned a tape last Wednesday to the full backup job that the append time started as soon as I assigned it to the job not when the job started. The problem was that the Full backup that started on Saturday did not rum because the Append time started on Thursday so when Saturday arrived the Append time was over so it did not find any media to write to. I alo have read that Backup exec will go a grab a scratch media if it is available. This is not working for me. If I do not have a tape assigned to the Media job the job will not run.

hello,
In the help documentation it tells about the append periods of the media sets. ( I copied it here for you )
New Media Set/General Tab

Property/Option Description/Action
Full Name Enter a name for the new media set.
Creation Date Displays the date the media set was created.
Media Set Periods
Overwrite Protection Period Enter the length of time, in hours, days, weeks, or years to retain the data on the media before the media can be overwritten (unless the media is erased, formatted, labeled, moved to Scratch Media, or if the Media Overwrite Protection Level is set to None).The Overwrite Protection Period is measured from the last time data was appended to the media.For example, setting the Overwrite Protection Period for seven days and the Append Period for four days ensures that data will not be overwritten for at least seven days, and that data can be appended to the media for the next four days. The last data appended to this media is retained for at least seven days.(Because of the method Backup Exec uses to compute time, the unit of time that you enter may be converted. For example, if you enter 14 days, the next time you view this property, it is displayed as 2 weeks.)The default is Infinite - Don’t Allow Overwrite which protects the media from being overwritten for 1,000 years, unless the media is erased, formatted, labeled, moved to Scratch Media, or if the Media Overwrite Protection Level is set to None.
Append Period Enter the length of time, in hours, days, or weeks, that data may be added to media. (Because of the method Backup Exec uses to compute time, the unit of time that you enter may be converted. For example, if you enter 14 days, the next time you view this property, it is displayed as 2 weeks.)The append period starts when the first backup job is written to this media.The default is Infinite - Allow Append which allows data to be appended until the media capacity is reached.

maybe this will help you. If the media set properties says append for 7 days. It starts the 7 days from the last time it was appended to.
Blonde.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back