Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apparent file corruption uploading. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrrhus

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
AU
Using a new server PeopleHost.com . Can't get any help from them.

Transferring a site from old host to new. Everything worked fine on the old host (Why did I change?!!) One of the files in particular seems to be getting corrupted when I upload using CuteFTP. This page uses some JS, but so do 40 or so others which upload and work fine.

Page in question is at
First couple of lines of source are reproduced below (don't know how to attach files in Tek-Tips):

Local (before uploading):

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>General Landing Page</TITLE>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../../../bizstyle.css">

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">

var scorestring=
"s0101 s0102 s0103 s0104 s0105 s0106 s0107 s0108 "
+"s0201 s0202 s0203 s0204 s0205 s0206 s0207 s0208 "

After uploading, view via IE 'source' option:

<HTML>???????
<TITLE>General Landing Page</TITLE>?????? ???????????????? ??????????????? ?????????????????????????????
???????? ????????????????????? ???????????????????????
????? ????????????
"s0101 s0102 s0103 s0104 s0105 s0106 s0107 s0108 "????? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
+"s0301 s0302 s0303 s0304 s0305 s0306 s0307 s0308 "????? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
+"s0501 s0502 s0503 s0504 s0505 s0506 s0507 s0508 "????? ? ?

After uploading, view from CuteFTP (right click & selecting "view"):

<HTML>?
<HEAD>?
<TITLE>General Landing Page</TITLE>?
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../../../bizstyle.css">?
?
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">?
?
var scorestring=?
"s0101 s0102 s0103 s0104 s0105 s0106 s0107 s0108 "?
+"s0201 s0202 s0203 s0204 s0205 s0206 s0207 s0208 "?
+"s0301

Anybody any idea what might be going on? Can send full views if it would help.

Thanks.

Make sure that the file is uploaded as a text file and not as binary.

Thanks Vragabond. It was uploaded as an html doc but so were more than 100 other pages which have no corruption problems. All were initially uploaded at the same time.

Well, usually binary doesn't corrupt too badly regular html files but sometimes it can happen. Check the options in CuteFTP for list of files that use ascii upload. If your extension is not on the list, make sure you add it. Also, when uploading, check if it is TYPE I (binary) or TYPE A (ascii, text).

Curious. Looking at Tools/Page Info in Firefox, I see that the character encoding for that page is "UTF-16LE". Other pages in the same directory have the more conventional "iso-8859-1". Something has (mis)labelled your file as having 16-bit character encoding, and it's suffered in the transition.

The first thing I'd try - open your uncorrupted local file, select all, paste it into notepad, save it as a new file (maybe give it the same name but in a different directory). Then try uploading the new file.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Reply to Chris Hunt:

Thanks Chris. That worked fine. Simple if you know about it or are not too stupid. Believe it or not I’ve been screwing around for days (on and off) on this problem. Owe you one.

Reply to Vragabond.

Thanks for help. Didn’t actually try your suggestion (since Chris Hunt’s worked before I got around to it) but useful info for future with CuteFTP.

Reply to BillyRayPreachersSon:

Yeah! Right!

I was with SmartHosting before and support was woeful. 3 days for response if you’re lucky. I put up with that because reliable, but when reliability declined I moved to PeopleHost. Out of the frying pan ….

Help from PeopleHost on this problem was as follows:
“The support system has been upgraded this week and the password func should work now.” (Terrific! That was just to get support request into the queue.) and:
“Im not seeing anything which sould be causing this issue.”
(Well that was really worth waiting 3 days for.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back