Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

App uses C:\Image.ini - can i make it use different file for each user

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcyryn

MIS
Apr 12, 2004
US
I have an application that uses the C:\image.ini file. I have a number of users using the application via terminal services and wonder if i can redirect the application to a file stored in each user's home directory or my docs folder?

all depends what the app is!!!
lotus notes allows you to start notes.exe and pass it the location to the notes.ini file.

perhaps there is a cmd line switch for your app? or perhaps your app writes to the registry when it is installed and puts the location of the ini file there, so perhaps you can change this reg key for each user session to point to a user specific ini file.
or: perhaps the application has its own config.ini file and in that file you will find an entry to where the image.ini should be located.

basically there must be an entry somewhere on the machine which tells the app where it should be looking for the image.ini./ it cant be hardcoded into the appliation exe file otherwise you could never install the application on a D drive for instance. well perhaps the person who wrote the app is a plonker but lets hope not.

so, i would do a reg search for c:\image.ini and search files for contents looking like c:\image.ini, and see if the application can be started with command line parameters which tell it where to pick the image.ini file from

regards

i tried searching the registry but no luck i think the info is hardcoded into the application. the ppl who wrote this app are total asses ... can't work with them on anything and they program with no thought process, they only do what barely needs done. they show no ability to think beyond what you tell them.

sounds like you need an application vision statement check our firesmiths OPF website, it wont help you with the image.ini file but will help you out with handling your relationship with the ppl.

ask them where the hook for this ini location is, thats prob the best way.

if it is hardcoded get them to change it.

if not, you could install the OS on E: drive and not have a system C: drive, you could then map a C drive per user session to a location where a image.ini is located. ha ha :)

perhaps you should explain this to the ppl and they might start thinking about their work.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back