Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

App Package.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

egapogi

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
PH
I just finished my application in VB6 using MS Access as back end.

I will install the Database in one location (machine) which will be shared by all users...thru LAN.

During installation i want to let user point to the Shared database... I am thinking of a pop up window within the setup wizzard.

This will also serve a control where the installation should be aborted when the Database location is not specified by the user...

Anybody can help me on how to do this?

Thanks,

One other option would be to use a registry entry from within your code. One reason to check the database path from within your code would be if you ever wanted (or did not want to) change your path to the database the app would verify things for you and in the event of a change the app would redirect the user to find the correct the registry entry. Just some food for thought. Anything is possible, the problem is I only have one lifetime.
[cheers]

fonda:

The idea of checking the data path is great and it would be great to beable to have the program find the DB itself or at least have a window that allow one to select which db to use. I tried to do that my self and never had a luck in doing so, can you tell me egapogi someplace to find the infromation on how to do this?

Thanks "The beauty of the second amendment is, that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

WebMaster:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back