Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

App not distributing to workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

answers123

Technical User
May 2, 2008
US
I have an .msi Application object associated to a worksation. Have set it to force run and appear in the Application Launcher. It does appear in the App Launcher but when I reboot the workstation it does not install.

Can someone shed some light on this for me please? I have given the necessary rights to the WS object and have tried both Run as Secure System User Non-Secure, nothing seems to work.

Thanks

I don't know the answer, but you will find (in general) that it is much easier to deploy an application to a user than it is to a workstation.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

I need to make it to brainshare one of these days. This could be a fun debate to have with you Marv.

Assigning to users opens up a new can of worms if you have workstation security configured. It really all depends on the environment and the application and how they work together.

One thing to keep in mind when choosing to install an via the user object or the workstation object is that both go through their own memory address space. They are separate, and they do not cross boundaries. When you install via a workstation association, you install as the system (or called the system user). This has full access to the machine, but has no access to user registry keys or profiles.

When you install a secure system user, this gives you the system user security rights, but there is no visible output on the desktop. Using unsecure system user still gives you the security rights of the system user, but you should get visible output on the desktop for what the system is doing.

You aren't seeing anything happen on force run when logging in because when the app is associated to a workstation, forced run does not work unless you use a schedule(at least I have never been able to get it to work reliably).

A couple things to try, first, just to test, assign the app to a user. Make sure this user has admin rights to the local workstation. This will allow you to see if the app even works.

You could also just click the icon in the app launcher to see if the app works or not, just keep in mind, you won't see anything if the app is set to run as a secure system user.

Setup a schedule if it works, and the app will deploy to a workstation if a user is logged in or not.

You could also check the option to install in the user space if workstation associated. But this will only works if the logged in user has the rights on the local PC to do so.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

I have double-clicked on the App in the launcher and it installs fine if the logged in user has rights. But, this is defeating my purpose, the reason I want to assign it to a WS is so I don't have to deal with user rights or give regular users local admin rights!

Also, I set up the schedule when I associated the App to the WS.

Is there a way to trace what is happening and where it is failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back