Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

apostrophy delimnia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarratt

Programmer
Apr 10, 2002
US
Hey all,

I am using client side cookies to track if a user has been to my site before or not. In my html head section I call an asp.net subroutine shown below to decide whether my body tag has the onload method or not. If the user has a cookie then the body tag does not have an onload event and if the user does not have a cookie i have an onload event that calls a javascript function to pop-up my registration page also. The problem is that I can't seem to use the correct syntax in the Response.write method to write the javascript because of 2 apostrophie's needed in the syntax shown below. Could anyone show me the correct syntax so I don't recieve a javascript syntax error for first time users?

If IsNothing(Request.Cookies("cookieEmailAddress")) = True Then
Response.Write(&quot;<Body vLink='#0000c0' aLink='#0000c0' link='#0000c0' bgColor='#cccccc' onload='Javascript: window.open(' MS_POSITIONING='GridLayout'>&quot;)
Else
Response.Write(&quot;<Body vLink='#0000c0' aLink='#0000c0' link='#0000c0' bgColor='#cccccc'>&quot;)
End If

See the problem in the onload event with the 2 apostrophies?

Thanks all! Errol Barratt
work: 856-810-5712
home: 856-697-1593
*** If there is a possibility, I'm sure all the smart ones out there will enlighten me 8p

take out the javascript: and you can use the &quot;&quot; &quot;&quot; to create the &quot; &quot;
like this
Response.Write(&quot;<Body vLink='#0000c0' aLink='#0000c0' link='#0000c0' bgColor='#cccccc' onload=&quot;&quot; window.open(' MS_POSITIONING='GridLayout'>&quot;)
A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

alright I did that wrong.
here we go .. one more time ..

Response.Write(&quot;<Body vLink='#0000c0' aLink='#0000c0' link='#0000c0' bgColor='#cccccc' onload='window.open(&quot;&quot; MS_POSITIONING='GridLayout'>&quot;) A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

thank you for the help! Errol Barratt
work: 856-810-5712
home: 856-697-1593
*** If there is a possibility, I'm sure all the smart ones out there will enlighten me 8p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back