Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunacol

Programmer
Jan 29, 2001
GB
we have a 2016 MS access database thats a few years old it currently links to MS outlook and picks up some details such as email address and some detais from inside the email. The client now wants to use a new tool to bring together their outlook emails with other messages (like fb). This new tool says it can link to databases via API but my knowledge of API is non existent. Cam anyone advise if its possible.please?

Yes, it is possible. But there's no real ppint asking about this in the Access forum, as it isn't anything really top do with Access. And it doesn't appear to be straightforwqard.

>my knowledge of API is non existent.

The Front API, which in turn uses JSON

So you'll need to learn JSON and the Front API

A quick glance at Front resource sites suggest this isn't a quick and easy thing to get working … I guess you've already looked at

Something I worked with used Json to provide data.

As a starting point as it used the right target website, I started with...

As StrongM pointed out you have to know something about javascript and Json.

The key thing to understand is that code is using the ScriptControl to add scripting code to the session and then calling functions coded in the script control to return values. This is perhaps a bit oversimplified. For all web related code things w3schools.com is an awesome resource. I managed to muddle may way through based on my limited javascript experience and examples.

The thing about code is this is the same set of problems you have when you build a SQL string in code except you are building code for another language other than SQL.

Keep in mind script injection is possibly exploitable when you introduce this. Likely your code will be tightly controlled but worth a mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back