Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APC UPS Battery Backup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTL555

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
US
I currently have w2k server installed with an APC Smart-UPS 1500VA battery backup. When I try to manually start the service for the uninterruptable power supply, I get this error message.

Could not start the Uninterruptable Power Supply service on local computer.

Error 2481: The UPS Service is not configured correctly

History of what has happened.....
The software for the APC Powerchute software v6.x was giving me problems i.e. services can not stop or start, windows installer not working, etc. I rebooted the server in safe mode, stopped all services to the powerchute software, and uninstalled the powerchute software. Now everything is working fine. BTW this is a known problem from Microsoft.

I have replaced the USB cable, removed the battery backup from device manager, and power properties actually see the battery is running on power or its batteries, but I still can not turn this service on.

I have checked power properties to see if I can manually select my APC, but I can not.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

ntl555

NTL555

If you connect the UPS with the USB cable you manage the power properties like a laptop - i.e. Control Panel, Power Options etc. The UPS Service is only used if you connect the UPS with the Serial Cable.
I set this up recently on a couple of servers (using the USB cable) and I decided to use the Windows Power utility as you can set the Server to power down cleanly etc. The APC Software gives you more information and allows periodic testing etc. I thought it wasn't worth the bother so unistalled it and used the Windows stuff.

HTH

Andy

Thats what I did technome.. I uninstalled the APC software and now no longer using the powerchute software incase this happens again. I thought it was a stupid program that just takes up memory anyways. Under power properties i set the server to shut down when there is like 5% of the battery left.

As far as the service, i believe Andy did answer my question when he said "The UPS Service is only used if you connect the UPS with the Serial Cable." I guess this is why I can not manually start the UPS service and it gives me the error 2481.

Thanks.

NTL555

Just to add I have a Windows 2003 server with an old APC 1400 Smart UPS that doesn't have a USB port. This is connected with the serial cable that came with the UPS (actually the cable came with a different UPS but that is irrelevent...).
On the Windows 2003 Server in Control Panel, Power Options, UPS Tab - I have selected APC Smart-UPS connected to COM1. The UPS Service starts automatically on this, there are similar options available from the configure button so I can shut the server down automatically when the UPS battery begins to run flat.

Andy

I have the APC 1500VA with USB/serial support. The APC works, becuase I can hit test on the APC and W2K server actually see that it it now running on batteries.

NTL555

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back