Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APC Smart-UPS 3000 on a 20A circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReK410

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2003
US
Hi all,

We just purchased a new APC Smart-UPS 3000 rackmount UPS (specs here:
The problem is that we didn't realize until after we purchased it that we are only running a 20A circuit to the wall outlet and the plug on the UPS is for 30A

I'm hoping that it was given a 30A plug to handle high-power datacenter lines and with an adapter I can run it on a 20A line. Does anyone know if it's safe to run this UPS on a 20A line?

I would think that it would trip your cicuit breaker just trying to power the thing up. I'm thinking it's going to draw more amperage than the circuit will handle, thus tripping the breaker. I wouldn't even attempt this.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but would also guess that you'll need a heavier gauge wire for the 30A. Get with your electrical people and have them get the proper power to you if your going to stay the course with the UPS you mention.

OK good news, I had one of our field techs come in and test the lines. The wire is rated for 30A, we just need to upgrade the outlet and the circuit breaker so it's something that won't require a contractor :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back