Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APC replacement advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakpgu

Technical User
Aug 9, 2005
US
Hello:
--I'm a newbie that needs some expert advice on whether to replace the batteries on our UPS or upgrade to a new model.
--Our APC Smart-UPS 3000VA RM 3U 120v unexpectedly shutdown our only server twice in three days.
--The first shutdown was on a Friday few hours after an audible low battery alarm; the second happened over the weekend when the business was closed (but Monday morning sure was fun).
--The error logs are clean and the PowerChute software isn't installed.
--As best I can tell, the UPS dates from 1999-2000 and is discontinued, though replacement batteries are available.
--Given its age and the unexpected nature of the shutdowns, is it better to replace the batteries or replace the UPS?
--Thanks in advance for all replies.
Patrick

APC says UPS batteries should last three to five years. Your batteries are long past their prime and proabably not reliable. It's unlikely the UPS itself is bad, APC's units are pretty reliable, though far from perfect.

In my experience, gel cell batteries on critical equipment should be scheduled for replacement every three years. In less sensitive locations with few power failures, you might stretch this to four years. Where the batteries are called upon more more often for short outages or smart boost, it may be mecessary to replace batteries every two years. (And I've done all of the above.)

I'm a pretty experience tech with an electronics background. I'm very comfortable replacing APC UPS batteries with correctly sized generic gel cells. The generic cells are far less expensive than APC's packaged battery sets, but to take longer to replace. IMO, it's not difficult if you know much about DC electrical systems.

Otherwise, order replacement battery cartridges and monitor your UPS carefully for a few weeks after its replaced.

Most p

An additional note: Battery life is greatly influenced by two factors: temperature and number of dharge/discharge cycles. A small increase in either will have a noticable negative effect.

So, if you have a warm server room or closet, replace the batteries more often. If the UPS goes into smart boost or discharge more than a few times a year, replace the batteries more often.

Also: Older UPS systems don't always work as well as new ones, the charging circuits can lose their precision. You might want to budget replace the UPS itself after five years or when the servers are upgraded.

--Thanks for the great advice. With a tight budget, that makes my decision easier.
Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.