Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APC Powerchute on SCO UNIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadhuMs

MIS
Oct 8, 2001
IN
Respected Sirs,

I am working as a system administrator for a network having 50 character terminals. (server connected to APC,Powerchute for SCO unix)

our problem is everytime, power fails, this ups gives a message about this to all users. This annoys them. Please let me how i should suppress this.

Also, HOW can i download/execute *.Z files from Internet to my unix server ?

Thanks in advance
Madhu

Assuming that you are running APCs on windows-based machines with the Powerchute software loaded, there is a check box on each status that allows you to notify all users when that specific event occurs (i.e. battery low condition). You need to go through and uncheck each event that you don't want to be notified for.

.Z files are compressed. Need to uncompress them. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

messages about power failures are SUPPOSED to be very annoying such that either the user closes their open files and logs out or they go and find the sysadm (who has probably been pulled away on some important business but needs to know about this)

sorry for the rant....hits too close to home

stan

The system is transmitting the power failure message so the user's can log out before the system shuts down. Kinda' important if you want to ensure data integrity when you come back up.

The command to expand a ".Z" file is this:

uncompress filename.Z

Remember this command is case sensitive so you must use a capitalized "z"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back