Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APC PowerChute Business Edition Basic Ver 7.0.2 Build 110 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyBuckaroo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2005
US
I used to have an older version of this software running just fine a while back so I am pretty familiar with how it works.

Recently though (after a 1 year hiatus from the software), I decided to set it up again on my W2K Server network. The servers have all the updates. I have the PowerChute agent running on 5 servers including the Server that is running the PowerChute Server module. The thing is, for some reason, the Server software keeps giving me the "Failed to Apply Configuration Profile" error message when attempting to add other devices on the network so I am only able to monitor the device that is on the PowerChute server and not any of the other servers.

Here is the APC link but I have tried every one of the options on the list with no resolution.

The other weird thing I notice (and I've tried it on 2 different servers) is that when the PowerChute Server is trying to update the profile and communicate to the agents on the other servers, the PowerChute server can not be pinged for about 25 seconds, completing temporarily removing it from the network for those 25 seconds. Very bizarre. I had read that some earlier versions of PowerChute had a similar problem where the CPU would tag at 100% causing all devices on the server to fail for roughly the same amount of time, but I don't think this is related, especially because that bug was supposed to be fixed.

Anyone else run into this weird issue? I have disabled all virus scanning software and used a port monitor which looks good except I do notice while port monitoring that some of the communications on some of the ports time out for reasons unknown. I can post the port scanning timeouts if it will help. Thanks

Each APC UPS can monitor a SINGLE server through it's communication cable UNLESS you install the port expander module. The port expander modules allow multiple communications cables to be connected to each server. You may also purchase the network monitor accessory (isn't the exact product name) which basically allows your UPS to monitor the servers through your lan instead of using the USB/Serial communication cable.

Hello Akwong, thanks for responding.

I realize that you can only monitor 1 server per UPS, and that is exactly how I have it set up. I have 5 servers.

Each server has it's own UPS (some of them are APC Smart-UPS's and some are APC Back-UPS's). Also, I've had this working before so I know that it is set up right physically with the proper cables, etc.

5 UPS's is the maximum that can be monitored with the Basic version of PowerChute Business Edition.

Ah ok, you physically have as many UPSes as there are servers. I though you had 1 UPS for multiple servres. I have a similar setup and yes I'm able to do what you are saying. Try removing all the agents from all the servers, reboot and reapply. I think I had a similar problem if one server is already associated with another profile then it couldn't taken control from another profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back