Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APC Power Chute Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

adbs

Technical User
Mar 4, 2012
US
Hi there,
I need some help. We have an APC Smart UPS Model: SRX1500RM2U. I have 3 servers hooked up to it (domain, fileserver, & Terminal Server) along with the cable modem and switches and such. Anyhoot. I am wondering how I set this up so that if there is a power outage, that it will shut down my servers safely, if I am not able to shut them down. I tried to use just a test computer to try to install the software on and try it, but I dont know if I am just not that smart or what but I cant figure it out. Also if I have that test computer connected via the USB, do all the servers need to somehow be connected like that in order for the software to shut them down? Oh and I dont have the paperwork or the software on CD (not sure where the guys who setup the network put it)
I wish I understood more of this than I do. I am a Help desk person that has taken on the task of trying to take care of 3 servers, which shouldnt be that hard, but for some reason I just dont understand this stuff like I should.

Thanks in advance for the help or any tips.

Did that UPS come with a network adapter? If you have this adapter, then you can download the network version of PowerChute from APC. You configure the network adapter with a IP address, browse to that IP, configure settings and define the IP addresses of the servers you will have the PowerChute agent loaded on.
Go to and choose out of the list PowerChute Network Shutdown and there is PDF for configuration and software for download.

If by chance you don't have the network interface card, I would suggest you purchase one, but even if not that, then please respond on what port options you have on the back of that unit. Make sure you are posting the correct model number as when I searched for that model, nothing was coming up with that number you gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back