Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APC BK350 UPS data cable question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
Has anyone got the pinout details of the RJ45 data connector on the UPS?

I tried the APC website, it's down temporarily.

I bought my ups second user, and after checking the serial number to make sure it's not one which APC are recalling, there is no software or cable, I would like to make an RJ45-DB9 or RJ45-USB cable, and if someone has the softare, it would be much appriciated if it could be uploaded to my file server at ftp://familysite.gotdns.org

Thanks.

I found the software at the APC website, which is now up and running, but the software is for usb connection only, software for the UPS RS232 would still be appreciated, I'm still looking to make a home made RJ45 to USB cable, the UPS's RJ45 is RS232.

I've just completed making an RJ45->DB9F serial cable, connected it from the UPS to the computer, win xp does have the APC UPS power control device driver and detects the UPS on COM1, but it's limited to only warning of a power failure, shuts down the computer after 2 minutes, but does not shut down the UPS, the UPS goes into overload after the computer has been shut down by the UPS.

I would rather have the proper software (not the software for USB, but for serial).

If you need serial shutdown you need Powerchute Business Edition installed for Simple signalling, this is available as a free downlaod from apc's website (url below).

You need to install all three components to manage using APC's interface or you can just install the agent and open a web browser with the url This will open the agents web configuration page (if hte IP is a remote IP then you would obviously use the IP for the target machine). Default Username and password used to be APC (check the manual as this may have changed)

stallard.........I tried the software and installed all 3 components, 1st I tried an auto detect of the UPS during installation, it failed, so I cancelled the installation then restarted it, then selected to manually enter 'simple signalling to any APC UPS' on port com1, this worked, I then compleded the final installation of the 3rd component, then added the device in the list, this went ok, but........the console said that the UPS is running in battery mode, when the front display of the UPS shows green=On-Line, and is running of the main powere, and a red (with flashing !) battery shows on the system tray.

So I uninstalled it and went back to the windows device, it showed the power source as 'Main' and battery condition as 'Good'

I tried the software with various configurations, and neither of them worked.

Try just using the agent with a web browser, with just one UPS in simple signalling mode this would probably be the easiest option, although if the windows software works fine then use that. The Back-UPS range do not provide very much information even with APC software installed.

stallard.......I've just installed the agent, but when I try to login to the agent using the web browser it shows a yellow ! in the browser status bar, when double clicked on, it shows a java debug dialog displaying something about 'this type of object is not supported in line xxx' eh? I have already installed the latest java, and shockwave support.

The problem with the windows driver, is when a power failure occurs (I tested it by unplugging the UPS from the main source) and the unit switches to battery, and after about 2 minutes when the the pc shuts down, the UPS is supposed to shut itself down, but it goes into overload instead (on-line and overload indicators flash) and power is still supplied to the system (even though the pc's APM has shut down and powered off the computer).

If it's going into overload with nothing attached (i.e. the computer has shutdown) then there is probably something wrong with either the cable or the UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back