Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APC ap9606 Username&passwd

Status
Not open for further replies.

dampo

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
NL
Hello,

I have a problem with a web/snmp card from APC,
The AP 9606 is the number of the card.
Somebody has changed the user name apc/apc into administrator/?????? .

Now I want to configure that card, but I don't now the password.
The card has an reset button but when I reset the card it still won't work with apc/apc.
I already had contact with APC for a backdoor passwd but that only works for the webbased version. and i have'nt even configured the card for web.

So if anyone knowsan answer please let me know.

regards Dampo

Well, I've inherited an APC Symetra UPS with an AP9606 web management card in it, and can I find any doco's for the AP9606 on the APC site - no way!!!. I search for AP9606, but no hits. Google however provides a link to the PDF manual for this card (although just as I'm typing this someone has handed me the printed manuals from the previous owner of this UPS!!). The link is

If that is dead by the time anyone reads this, then here is the procedure, cut & pasted from the PDF.....

How to Recover from a Lost Password
Overview If the User Name or Password becomes unknown, you can use a local
computer to restore access to a Management Card that uses the APC
AOS module, version 3.0 (or later). The latest AOS version is available
at the APC web site (Recovery
procedure
To recover from a lost Password or User Name, do the following:
1. Select a serial port at the computer to be used for a terminalemulation
connection with the Management Card.
2. Disable any service that currently uses the selected serial port,
such as PowerChute plus or UNIX Respond.
3. Disconnect any cable from the selected serial port and connect
the smart-signaling cable (940-0024) that came with the
Management Card to the selected serial port and to the serial
port on the UPS or chassis.
Note: If the computer uses smart-signaling PowerChute plus,
omit Step 3: A smart-signaling cable (940-0024 or 940-
1524) is already installed.
4. Run a terminal program (such as HyperTerminal).
5. Configure the serial port for 2400 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1
stop bit, and no flow control, and save the changes.
6. Press ENTER to display the User Name prompt (you may need to
press ENTER two or three times).
7. Press the reset button on the Management Card.
8. Press ENTER to redisplay the User Name prompt.
9. Use apc for both the User Name and Password to log in.
Note: If you take longer than 30 seconds to log in, you will
need to repeat Step 6 through Step 8.
10. Select System from the Control Console menu.
11. Select User Manager from the System menu.
12. Select Administrator from the User Manager menu, and follow
the on-screen instructions to change the User Name and
Password settings to the new values.
13. Press CTRL-C to exit to the Control Console menu.
14. Log out to save the changes.
15. If necessary, reconnect any cable disconnected from the
computer’s serial port in Step 3.
16. Restart any service disabled in Step 2.

Good luck!! (I suppose I'm about to find out whether I need to use this info).

Cheers
SpongeBob

Dampo,

There are several options open to you. Most AP9606 SNMP cards have another id of "User". User password is also "apc". Try that first, you will be able to access the card and it's configuration parameters. If that does not work try the following:
Remove the card and look for white sticker on the back of the circuit board. The serial number starts with WA99, JA01, or XA01 depending on the manufacture date of the card. Logon to You will see a Pop-Up screen, select "Chat with Support". Fill in the required info and tell them you need the backdoor password for the AP9606 card with your serial number. They will give this info to you and write it down. Go to the SNMP card via hyperterm and enter apc for teh User and the password APC gave you. Wait several muinutes and attampt to login as apc/apc. At thsi time the passwords have been reset. Good Luck!
hpmoy

Dampo,

Pull the SNMP card from the UPS and write down the Serial Number from the White sticker attached to the card. This will usually start with WAXXXXXXXXXX. Contact APC, There will be a "pop-up" window, click on "Chat with Support". Once apc responds to you give them the Serial number and model of card and request the backdoor password. Teh password will look like this: 139<;>^IBC=/ . Return the card to the UPS and attempt to login using apc for the user and the backdoor password for the password and stop. Wait a minnute and press enter again to log in. At this point enter apc for teh user name and password. You will be on the Administrator level.
I use "hyperterm" via com1 or com2 on a PC to access these cards with the APC supplied cable. If you don't have the cable from APC you can make a DB9 Male to DB9 Female.
Here are the pinouts.
Pin#2 Female to Pin#2 Male,
Pin#3 Female to Pin#1 Male,
Pin#5 Female to Pin#9 Male. These are the only connections you need to communicate with this card.
Set the Hyperterm session to 2400 BPS, 8 databits, No parity, one stop bit and flow control is set to none.
Once you are in the card select #3 System. Select #1 Administrator. Supply the password of apc and press enter.
Enter a name for administrator and press enter,
Enter a new password, enter the password again. You can press enter to skip the phrase. Press Enter again. You are back at the User Screen. Select #5 to accept changes and the password and Administrator Name.
To set-up the User Id, follow the same steps as above but you will need the password you just typed in.
I strongly suggest you keep the backdoor password to yourself and in a secure place. Teh backdoor password will not change unless a chip is swapped out.
Hope this helps out!
Regards,
HPMOY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back