Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apache:Tomcat

Status
Not open for further replies.

taneujin

MIS
Aug 14, 2001
SG
Not sure am I in the wrong forum or not.

I installed Tomcat recently by untarring the file to /tomcat
I made it run on port 80 and I changed the permissions and owner to tomcat. When I logged in as tomcat, I was not able to run tomcat server. It says permission denied:unable to bind to port 80.

Is there something wrong with my congiuration or is it that port 80 is not supposed to be run by anyone except root?

Port 80 is being used by apache - is that what you want to do?

No, I have already disabled apache and nothing is running on port 80. I have already configured tomcat to run on port 80 and is running ok with when run as root. But I am not able to run it under tomcat user.

Hello,

You, as a normal user, cannot run any service which listens on any port in the rangebetween 0 and 1023. These ports are reserved ports and can e utilized by only administrator.
The solution will be to run Tomcat at port above 1023.
I hope it helps.

Soumen Ghosh

If you want Tomcat accessible to people on the default web port, you can use one of the Jakarta Connectors like WARP (mod_webapp) or AJP (mod_jk) to connect Tomcat to Apache. You can find more info on (you should see a section on connectors on the left). Liam Morley
lmorley@gdc.wpi.edu
"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.
light the world, and bring depth to the silence."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back