Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apache Session in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCHomepage

Programmer
Feb 24, 2009
US
I have a recent installation of LAMP (up to date build of Ubuntu 8.10) where I am having some difficulty on a page I am creating. I am beginning to suspect that programming is correct and that the Apache sessions are not enabled or, if they are, they are unable to be written. I'm not sure where the configuration file is though. Any advice on the general problem or on the location of the file? Thanks!

I don't use ubuntu but I hear tell that you might find it in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf or /etc/apache2/httpd.conf. Apache also uses directory called conf.d that may hold some more config files.

Thanks a bundle! That is indeed where it was and it uses apache2.conf as you indicated it might. The regular httpd.conf is there too but it simply loads it in. I don't see any setting in it that is out of the ordinary and I realized after posting that sessions on another development site seem to work just fine. The problem, then, seems to be with the one site so I'll go through the programming yet again.

When you say sessions, are you talking about the php type or simply trying to access another site? If you want to be able to host more than one site, you need to create virtual servers. Apache uses the term virtual hosts or simply vhosts.

Yes, I'm talking about PHP session and yes, I have vhosts set up for multiple sites. This is a development system only. I've been running Apache for years on Windows but this is my first experience on my own Linux system (my hosting company runs Linux) and am finding that things seem to behave a bit differently, possibly due to the more strict permissions of the OS.

However, I now believe the current problem is programmatic as it appears it will write a session value of I code it differently. I am working on the issue in the PHP forum now. Thanks!

Great! If you have any linux specific questions, there is a linux server forum as well as a linux desktop forum here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back