Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apache Listen Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe689

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
For some reason from my lan browser if i type in my wan ip such as 24.49.128.67 it will direct me to the page. However when using an outside computer, apache doesn't respond on the ip. I am positive it isn't an ip port 80 block. I am able to ping the ip and lookup the correct ip for leecomp.us through my nameserver but apache doesn't seem to be listening. I am using a NAT. Someone suggested using Listen * in the httpd.conf. Where would i be putting it? Under virtual host?

I am also running apache on a dynamic ip. I am also running dynamic dns.

A snip of what my virtual host looks like is

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName leecomp.us
ServerAlias ServerAdmin webmaster@leecomp.us

The * is an actual character i put it, to avoid using a real ip that would be changing.

Try this experiment.

Download netcat

That link is a nice intro to it with download links.

Stop apache

Have netcat listen on port 80

telnet to port 80 on your ip from a variety of situations. Internal network to internal IP, internal to WAN, external to WAN etc. This will help you probe your network and determine if apache is or is not the problem.

You were here before :) Its time to get rid of apache and do some network level testing.

Note: After each test netcat quits so don't think its busted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back