Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AP541N Guest Internet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have a network consisting of an ASA5510 (V7.08)with security plus license connected to a ESW-540-24P with an AP541N firmware 1.9(1).

3 VLANs are configured :

- Data Untagged Vlan 1
- DHCP handled by Windows Server
- 192.168.2.x / 255.255.255.0

- Voice Tagged Vlan 100
- DHCP handled by Phone system
- 192.168.10.x / 255.255.255.0

- Guest Tagged Vlan 50
- DHCP handled by ASA
- 192.168.20.x / 255.255.255.0

The port on which the AP541N is connected is configured as a Wireless AP port through Smartports Wizard and allows traffic for all 3 VLANs. From a laptop, if I connect to the BSID for the Data network, I get an IP from the DHCP server (Windows) and I'm able to browse the Internet and access the servers. If I try to connect to the BSID of the Guest network, I kept on getting the error Reason Code 3 when I had authentication configured. To keep things simple, I disabled authentication on the Guest network. I'm able to connect now but I can't seem to get an IP from the ASA.

Here's the pertinent info for the Guest VLAN from the ASA

interface Ethernet0/1.3
description Guest Data VLAN
vlan 50
nameif Guest_Vlan
security-level 50
ip address 192.168.20.1 255.255.255.0

mtu Guest_Vlan 1500
global (outside) 1 interface
nat (Guest_Vlan) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
dhcpd address 192.168.20.10-192.168.20.50 Guest_Vlan
dhcpd dns 8.8.8.8
dhcpd lease 3600
dhcpd ping_timeout 50
dhcpd auto_config Guest_Vlan
dhcpd enable Guest_Vlan

Through online forums, I found the following Reason Codes :

Here are the reasons codes our team found in the log file.

1 /* Unspecified reason */

3 /* Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS

4 /* Disassociated due to inactivity */

8 /* Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS

My AP541N Info :

Product Identifier : AP541N-A-K9
Hardware Version : V01
Software Version : AP541N-K9-1.9(1)

What could be the reason why I can't get an IP from the ASA? BTW, only one port on the ASA is used and I know the trunking works properly on this port because both my PBX and Lan can access the Internet.

Thanks,
fs483

run some debugging for the dhcpd process and see if notice anything wrong.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

I tried running debug dhcpd event and debug dhcpd packet on the ASA while trying to retrieve an IP from a laptop and nothing was detected. To eliminate complexity, I removed the AP541N and configured one port on the switch to ACCESS Mode with Untagged VLAN 50. I plugged in my laptop and tried to get an IP, and nothing :( Just to be sure I was configuring the port properly, I tried setting the same port to VLAN 100 (my voice vlan) and I was able to get an IP from my Phone system so I know my port config is ok. For some reason, my ASA doesn't want to hand out IPs to my Guest_Vlan. BTW, the DHCP server is handing out IPs to my management port without difficulty. Is it possible the DHCP server on the ASA can't handle 2 ranges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back