Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AOL outgoing email

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyboyLDB

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2003
US
I have a client on MS Exchange 2000. All email in/out appears to be working fine except AOL. They can receive incoming AOL email, but when sending it out, it never gets to the recepient. Leaves the server and no bounce backs. They called AOL and AOL stated it was their exchange server. I am not having any other issues with any other domains. Not sure where or how to investigate this one. Any ideas? It doesn't appear that we have the issue. Thanks for any advice. LDB

Are you seeing the messages stuck in your outgoing SMTP queue to AOL.com?

I am having a similiar issue. But its when someone from AOL sends a message with an attachment. In this case the user from AOL is sending my user a 7.3MB attachment and the AOL user is getting an error saying the file size is to big. However I do not have any space limitations enforced. Any ideas?

Besides AOL being a big Pain in the Butt!

I had a similar issue and AOL told me that I did not have Revers DNS set up properly, they were right and once I set that up issue was resolved.

Mikesid - The reverse DNS for the AOL outgoing email issue? I will check, but I have no other issues with other ISPs.

TMT7734 - nothing stuck - leaves the server and never returns - no bounce backs or errors. It appears all went as normal. Have sent to several different AOL email addresses just to make sure not an issue with only one.

he is right it is reverse dns issue, hotmail and aol, recently implemented strong antispam rules ... and will do a reverse dns look up to make sure the sending server is legit...

If this is the case, then should I not get a bounce back? And if my reverse DNS is setup wrong, then why no other problems except with AOL sending? I don't see setting up reverse DNS as being complicated, but where in this process might I be going wrong? Thanks for the comments thus far.

See also thread858-755354

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Thanks for the tips. I am going to be on-site later and will let you know the outcome. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back