Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AOL / FTP Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfoot

Programmer
May 4, 1999
US
In the last few weeks, some of my outside sales people can no longer FTP their orders to me. They are using AOL. Version???

I have tried this and confirmed it to be true. If I open a DOS window, and use the FTP commands, I can log into my FTP server, but I can not see any sub folders. Any clue here?

Please help, as I am running out of hairs to rip out.

P.S. I will call AOL, but I don't think the'll tell me anything.

Not sure how helpful this may be, I'm sure someone else here is more knowledgeable than I am regarding this... but maybe try using a FTP program like CuteFTP.
Hope this is of some help :)

Tried that. FTP from the command line won't work either.

I even tried ie.

They can log into my server, but it shows no folders.

I have seen similar problems with FTP where I could log on but not get the directory listing. Try turning passive mode on( or off if it is on) if there is no settings for this try a windows FTP client as was suggested above. If you are behind a NAT router this can cause problems as well.
Good Luck

What's a NAT router?

and I tried passive mode too. Thought of that.

I still think it's AOL somehow.

AOL is a pain in the ..... you might have to offer a web page to upload files to a web site, then pull them down to your own machine.

Don't hold your breathe trying to get help from AOL! There's always a better way...

Listen to TVIMAN... AOL is, will be, and always was a real problem. AOL is without a doubt the worst ISP on the NET. Advise all you know to abandon AOL and get a real ISP. FTP is simple and easy. AOL is the problem. If you want a really good "FTP" application then Windows Commander can't be beat.... Just like the old Norton File Manager, but with much +++++ more capability.

quote:
Listen to TVIMAN... AOL is, will be, and always was a real problem. AOL is without a doubt the worst ISP on the NET. Advise all you know to abandon AOL and get a real ISP. FTP is simple and easy. AOL is the problem. If you want a really good "FTP" application then Windows Commander can't be beat....

Let me explain:
I am not using AOL's ftp, I am using Mabry's control. Now, I know it is NOT the control because I can not get it to see the folders when I go thru IE, or do FTP from a command line. I do have some users that are able to connect, but I don't have their laptops here.
This one I do have has version 7.0 rev 4114.10637 and ie 6.0.26000.

What happens is I get a logon and I sign in ok, but I can not do a DIR of the folders. I can't even upload to the root folder.

Getting rid of AOL is not an option, these laptops were working up to a few weeks ago, and some have AOL that still work. Something's fishey here.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

HERE'S SOMETHING!!!!

If I go through AOL's FTP interface, it can send and receive fine.

What is wrong???? :(

I would reset all the config info on a test machine (one that's not working) change to a new password and login name and make sure the ip address and port number are configured properly also that the user rights are set to allow access to all the folders that they should be.
Those 4 port cable/dsl routers you can get to provide internet to more than one machine from one account perform NAT ( network address translation) This makes it so that only the address of the router is detected by the outside world and not the address of the computers behind it (except for one, it clones that address and uses it as it's own) This acts as a firewall. If you have added firewall software/hardware to your setup that needs to be configured to allow the ftp stuff through properly.
Also if you have set the server to block any ip's then you might have to explicitly allow other addresses that you want to allow access.

We have a Elron firewall on the outside, and we are hosting our own DNS. This all worked and nothing was changed in the past few weeks. All at once we started having problems with users not being able to log in.

I am using windows security and I am signing on as me (system admin), so there is no security breach.

I called AOL, they said "if you can connect, use the internet, ftp from us, then call Microsoft"

What a waste of time!

Same problem, different day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back