Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AOL Cable Broadband 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valerie9

Technical User
Aug 25, 2002
US
How do you connect multiple computers through Linksys 4 port DSL/Cable Router to AOL Broadband?
I can only connect one computer at separate times.
AOl support says there must be problem with Router set-up or firmware since I am not allowed multiple sign on's at same time.?

Valerie9,

As I understand it, you can not share an AOL Broadband connection currently with a Linksys router. You can do it with the router they will sell you, with a hub or you can do it with Internet Connection Sharing. AOL is continuing their proprietary methods with these new products.

Look here for additional information:

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Valerie9,
1. Call AOL to make sure you have multiple name support enabled.
2. Plug in DSL modem to "Wan" port on Linksys
3. Plug in computers on any port BUT #4.
4. Install AOL software on each machine
5. Make each connection type DSL

It will work, although Linksys plans a firmware upgrade to
the router "in the near future."

Valerie, you really should do a google search on "linksys and AOL", and particular look at the DSLReports AOL forum threads it should find.

Oldman, AOL is completing a purchase of AT&T cable, which has a marketing deal with Linksys. That is probably why the Linksys router is the router that AOL is currently shipping as its own.

Best to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back