Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone working or know someone working in Dubai?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
I've heard recently of a few people going to work in Dubai, making a large amount of money in a few years time. I have a personal friend that I am waiting to hear from, in the meantime, I thought I'd ask the good old forum for info?

I'm interested in all aspects of working there or even overseas.

presently googling for more info as well..

Mark C.

Working in Dubai:

Upsides:[ul][li]No employment income taxes.[/li][li]Very futuristic lifestyle.[/li][li]Great salaries for technical/financial positions.[/li][li]Expats can now own, or invest in, Dubai property.[/li][li]Major travel hub.[/li][li]Great shopping.[/li][li]Great beaches.[/li][li]Crime is virtually non-existent[/li][li]No religious fervor or political extremism (as elsewhere in the region).[/li][/ul]

Neutrals:
[ul][li]Currently, rent is minimum 2,000 United Arab Emirate Dirham (single) to minimum 4,000 AED (family) per month ($550/£275 to $1,100/£550)[/li][/ul]

Downsides:[ul][li]Inflation is 15% annually.[/li][li]No trees (besides date palms).[/li][li]75% of your income can go for food, rent, utilities, and transportation.[/li][li]Until 2009 when the Dubai Metro starts running, the traffic is a bad as in London or LA.[/li][li]Long-distance rates to Europe and America can exceed $1.00/minute; VoIP is illegal and Internet access is expensive.[/li][/ul]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Oh and don't expect to eat a lot of pork.

No more finger licking ribs.
happy.gif

But yeah its got to be worth the money. A friend went there couple of years back. He loved it.

Kumar
Virtech Computer Consulting and Networking

That's true, Kumar, if you are addicted to Bacon, then you probably should not plan an extended stay in UAE. <grin>

Actually, if you are a westerner, and you are feeling adventurous, you can go to a butcher and ask if he sells Special Cuts of meat. That is the code phrase for pork in Arab countries. If he doesn't sell "special cuts", you can ask if he can direct you to a butcher that does. If you start getting vibes that you are descending into "trouble" then shut up and leave.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

If you take a job in Dubai, make sure that you negotiate a housing allowance in addition to your salary. It's not cheap to live there at all.

One other thing -- the color of your skin matters there (by every account I've read). If you're dark complexioned, you won't be treated as well as someone with lighter skin.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back