Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone with experience with VMware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwoliver

MIS
May 17, 2005
US
The only reason that I am asking this question of this forum is that I have attempted to install VMware 5.0 on three machines, with no success. Each installation errors out, with the message "Setup has detected VMware software running on this machine". All of them are running XP, Netware Client 4.91 and the iFolder client. I have other IT types that I correspond with that use it, none of them on a Netware platform. The VMware site and dicussion forums don't seem to have any information either.

Any suggestions or comments?

FYI, VMware can only be installed on Linux and Windows "host" OSes. You can install Netware as a "guest" OS.

I'm running VMware Workstation 5 on a similar host (minus the iFolder client) without any problems. Check the event logs for additional messages and verify there are no other versions of VMware running, eval or licensed.

Hope it helps.

## Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Lorenzo Wacondo (System Administrator)

Nick, is it possible that you've downloaded the wrong one?

If you're going to run it on XP, you need the VMWARE Workstation. Go here if you haven't already done it.
And the error you get is when you are just trying to install VMWARE itself? Not the guest OS?

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

It is possible. I tried the install on a Windows 2003 server box with no Netware at all and got the same error, so at that point I figured that I was down to the install file itself being the problem. I went to the vmware site and am downloading the 5.5 beta.
nwo

From your error message it tells me that you have already installed VMWare on the PC in question. Before VMWare can install again or upgrade, it must remove the provious version.

I personally run VMWare 5, and had 4.5 and 4, and 3 all ran just peachie on a Win2k and now XP Pro workstation (laptop) running various netware client versions as new ones came out, ifolder, iprint, NAV, CheckPointVPN, Cisco VPN, BorderManager VPN, I have to many damn VPN's VPN, all ran with out issue and interacted with VMWare were they needed with out issue (yes, I can connect to a VPN site and bridge the VMWare session across the VPN to run what ever test or other function I am doing).

SO check you instlled programs, if you see VMWare, then uninstall it then reinstall it.

Your second options is to actually buy the program or request a legit eval key. Install issues like this are seen with pirated copies of the program.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Yes, you are right. I had gotten a copy in order to eval it on my own, but it was obviously flawed. So I went out to the VMware site and pulled down a copy of their 5.5 beta. It works just fine. I appreciate everyone's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back