Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anyone using xCAT 2.x for datacenter management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exsnafu

Technical User
Apr 25, 2008
US
I'm curious, over the past week i've been playing with xCAT 2.2 to centrally manage our linux/aix servers.. on the aix side of the house it was a breeze, after digging around and finding the right combo of doc's it all came together pretty quick and i've got both software and hardware control. reminds me of the old ibm sp/pssp days.

on the linux side though it's a different story.. i've got a large environment of sun/dell x86 equipment with dell DRAC's and the sun ILOM for remote hardware/serial over lan support.. while the docs i find all focus on ibm hardware, there are random references to other types supported with the ipmi plugin and googling has come up with other people who seem to indicate they're using it with dell/sun/hp equipment so as i said, i'm curious: anyone here use xcat 2.x? using it successfully for console control of dell/sun/hp servers? have some magical documentation that'll help point me in the right direction?

it doesn't help that while some of the docs refer to the ipmi plugin, i don't seem to have it on my aix based xcat server and can't find where to d/l.. i'm wondering if it only comes with the linux version of the xcat rpm's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back