Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using VFP against a native database on server 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

GriffMG

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
FR
I have a client planning to 'upgrade' his server to 2019 and he has asked if there will
be any problems...

Anyone done that? Do Op' locks cause any problem?

(I am aware I answered a question on this a year ago, but it doesn't hurt to ask for actual experience)

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

I have some users that have upgraded their servers to 2019, and I haven't heard of any problems. I might add that I always install EVERYTHING in a catalogue on the server, and the clients only have a shortcut to the main EXE on the server.
BTW, this approach has worked for me back from W95 until now :)

Thank you Dan

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

Hi Dan,
Would you care to elaborate with some more detail?
Using native VFP tables? SQL ?
Using Remote Desktop RDS ?
How do you "catalogue" on the server ?

Regards,

Edgar
Integrated Bar Code Systems, Inc.

No issues, neither any settings needed if native dbfs reside on shared server and exe's on local PC's.

Thank you LJ

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

@fitedgar
Sorry for late answer and my somewhat bad English :)
Only free VFP tables.
I meant DIRECTORY, catalogue was "swenglish", it's called "katalog" in Swedish.
Some users use RDP, but not many.
Most use "Connect network device" to get a device letter.

@myearwood
You have to kick everyone out anyway if you're upgrading, right? You are of course right that performance can be a LITTLE better with local EXEs, but it increases the complexity of everything.
Just today, I moved my app (actually it's one EXE and about 10 APPs for better performance, the EXE is only about 750kb) for two of the companies that use it. No need to access the clients, I just moved the app-directories to another server.

I think that if a client upgrades a server, as a vendor you end up living with the consequences...

In this case they DID ask if there might be in advance, normally it's in arrears, and it always reflects
on the vendor.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back