Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using the Nortel IP 2002's succesfully as a VoIP phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PImoose

Technical User
Dec 3, 2008
US
We have an outside office using these to connect back to a Ucx 450. I've done alot of QoS tuning as well as other prioritizing and routing on our networks and we seem to still have some odd problems. Mainly when the phones are not in use but talking to the system, they go correctly over the web back to the home server - port 5000 or 7000. When you get a call the path gets split and one goes over the web and the call goes over the VPN. So of course too much delay.

I'm going to try one of the Digium phones we have and see if I get better results. Anyone have this issue with the Nortels before?

May I ask why you are using Port 5000 on the IP set? In addition, if you aren't using a VPN at both ends, you will need to have some ports open on your Routers. This is from the E-Metrotel WIKI as well as my comments below the WIKI info.

Port Forwarding for Remote Nortel Phones
In order to allow remote workers with Nortel IP phones (with UNISTIM firmware) to access your UCx system from the public network, you should configure your router to forward the following ports to the IP address of your UCx Server (by default 192.168.1.200):
Rule Name Port Number/Port Range Port Type
UNISTIM (signaling) 7000 UDP
RTP (media) 10000-13999 UDP
If you use a non-default port number for UNISTIM signaling (PBX - PBX Configuration - Nortel Settings - Port), use the actual port number for the first rule in the table above.

1. In the UCx under Nortel settings, you have to put your router's external IP into the Public IP box or else you will have no audio.
2. The remote IP phone must be configured to connect to the public IP address of the UCx system - that is the public address of the router on the UCx end.
3. The router on the client side does not require any extra configuration to allow remote IP sets to operate - standard NAT implementation handles all that is needed.
4. I also configured my Router to forward Port 5060 so I can use soft phones with the system as well. This would be for using Bria Counterpath, CSIP, Zoiper, etc.

This works like a charm! We have remote sets from our operating UCx working with no issues and I also use the soft phone client on my cell phone as a registered extension on the UCx for demo purposes.

Stocking Distributor for E-Metrotel

May I ask why you are using Port 5000 on the IP set?"
The port 5000 is used on the i2002 by default. The signaling is set up by default (over UDP ports) in the following way: i2004:5000 <-> UCx:7000.

"When you get a call the path gets split and one goes over the web and the call goes over the VPN."
Do you want the RTP packets to be routed over the VPN that you mentioned or over the public Internet? I think it should be possible to configure the network to use either of them in both directions. All you have to do is to properly configure the default gateways on the phone and on UCx.

If you want to use the public Internet, you should:
- set the field Default Gateway on UCx (under System - Network - Network Parameters) to the IP address of the router that provides the public Internet connectivity
- set the Public IP under Nortel settings to the public IP address of the router
- for the IP phone, either make sure that the DHCP server at the remote site returns the public Internet router as the default gateway or switch to the static configuration for the IP phone and set the DEF GW to the IP address of the public Internet router at the remote site

If you want to use the VPN connection instead, use the VPN addresses on both sides as the default gateways and configure the Public IP under Nortel Settings field accordingly.

I had a nice long post but the forums bombed when I submitted.

Basically the remote site forwards all traffic from the phones over the data T1 that is there. The phones all have the public IP of the main facility as their S1 server address.

Main site has the UCx and the router with necessary ports open. The phones work, system traffic goes over the public internet just fine. When a conversation is started, not signaling - as far as I can tell, traffic is routed over the VPN.

Is there somewhere on the UCx I can see what it thinks the remote phones IP addresses are? I wonder if it does a lookup on the IP or MAC, which would reference our local DNS servers, then sees that they are accessible over the VPN link.

You can go into the UCx and go to the "Reports" tab, then select "Extensions Overview"- The list will show you the Gateway the phone is using and the MAC Address of the phone.The report will also show the model of the phone, the status of Online (OK)\Offline and the firmware revision on the phone. The Remote sets should reflect the Gateway they are using and not the Gateway of the local UCx. You might also try a Wire Shark session and see what you get...

Stocking Distributor for E-Metrotel

The IP address of a phone from the UCz server perspective can be viewed for example in Reports - Extensions Overview. You could also use the PBX - Tools - Asterisk CLI page and run the command "ucx show peer xxx" (where xxx is the extension you want to query). The command returns details about the phone including the IP address and port numbers.

When setting up voice path with remote phones behind NAT (that would be your case when the phones are connected via the public Internet)
- the phone is configured to send RTP packets to the Public IP address (configured under Nortel Settings)
- Asterisk waits for the first packet from the phone to find out the destination IP address and port that it should use for sending of RTP packets (in other words, it waits for the first packet to learn the phone's NAT mapping)
In other words, the route used by the first RTP packet from the phone determines the route for RTP packets from UCx to the phone.

If you see RTP traffic being sent over the wrong network, the most likely reason is the routing configuration on the remote network (the first RTP packet gets sent over the T1 data network and not over the public internet).

Thanks there was some missing pieces. I now have that address set and that seems to have fixed the issue of the data routing. They seem to be getting alot of hiccups in the calls which seems odd as our router is bypassing any scanning on traffic to and from the phone system, just forwards it directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back