Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using the new 6000/6500 series switches yet? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 1998
US
We are looking at using a couple of Catalyst 6509 switches to use at the core of a campus network. I know they are very new and thus may have some bugs. Has anyone out there actually used these switches?<br>
<br>
Thanks.

We are testing the 65xx series in our lab now. The biggest boost over the 5k family is upscaled backplane. Other than that, these switches seem to be on the mark.

Yes, we did buy one and so far I like it. The biggest problem I have run into is that I would like it to do IBGP but it isn't available on the MSM. I have heard that the new supervisor module with the ASICs on board will allow for the supervisor module to do BGP routing. I think they are supposed to be shipping in September. Now I just have to find the money for the upgrade and a second switch. :)<br>
<br>
Thanks for the response.

Yes !! I've been using the 6509 for the past 6 months and it had performed without a hitch !! This switch is rock solid. Check out the QoS features for one, this switch had very advanced features and will be a solid performer for quite some time. <br>
<br>
I'd be interested in your feedback !!<br>
<br>
What do you think about the 6509 so far folks ?<br>
<br>
RH

very solid as well as all the 6500 series..<br>
we have sevral 6513's<br>
best without the latest ois though....

Ah, 6513??? Are you sure this product exists? I don't think Cisco makes a Catalyst 6513.<br>

Our campus uses 4 6509s with giga cards downt to closet level<br>and 5x00 series in closets. the work like a charm. We even<br>have about20 vlans and a sun enteprise server giga attached<br>to 2 of them. 650x is great. They giga attach to 8540s without<br>a problem too.<br><br>I only have a chip on my shoulder for the 8540s due to IOS<br>unsupported features yet.<br>6000 series rocks!<br><br>Leroy

Hello,<br><br>Yes been running them for 6 months only issue I have had is with VLAN1 in that when running CAMPUS wide a HSRP Storm on VLAN 1 Took out all user VLANS !!!!! There is an issue with corrupt packets being generated if your edge switches are Cat3500 series etc.<br><br>This is not fixed in ISO 12.0(5)XP see Cisco bug CSCdp15835 for more info.....work around is to remove/deny Layer 3 routing on VLAN 1 ie disable HSRP or EIGRP etc.... You don't get the link flapping etc..... other than that no probelms !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back