Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using satellite internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDakota

MIS
Jun 21, 2009
US
Couldn't find a forum for this so I thought I'd try it here.
Anyone using satellite internet? How does it work? I'm going to be working out of town and I'd like full access to my sites and email accounts no matter where I am. I'd use it with my laptop, like I use wireless today but not depending on Starbucks, library, hotel, etc.

If anyone out there is doing this, I'd like some reviews. Thanks!

You're talkign quite an expense for mobile Satellite comms.

Would a 3G dongle be a better option (or tether to your phone)?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Go for the 3G/4G dongle, or just find open wifi hitspots (cofee shops, etc).

Typical "satellite Internet" uses something like DirectTV or Dish for a broadband connection. To make it work you need a satellite receiver mounted on your home, and the latency is fairly bad compared to typical broadband solutions.

There are undoubtedly portable satellite data setups, but they would most likely be the sort of thing that is well out of the price range of a typical user or business user.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Like the others have said, your best options would be a data card. Your looking at about $60 to $80 a month depending on who your wireless carrier is. If you have a smart phone you could always teather your Cell phone as a modem...though it would be slower then a data card.

your Cheapest option would be just to use the local hotspots ( Coffee shops, Hotel, Airports) and setup your phone to recieve your e-mails.

Scott

Like has been said, unless you are going to be driving around in a luxury tour bus you'll want a 3g/4g usb card to use with a cel carrier.
A Mobile Internet Satellite dish is about the size of a regular Sat Tv dish.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back