Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using Plenum Rated Coax (RG6) or Plenum 16/2 Audio cable? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgyde

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
I was about to order some Plenum rated coax (RG6) from one of my larger distributors, when he mentioned to me that it wasn't in stock, and they RARELY/never sell it. It does >$400 per 1000ft (about 6x CMR RG6 coax price). As it is being run commercially in a plenum space, it would be required per NFPA 90A and NEC, right?

I just wanted to check with you guys to see what everyone else is doing. I am guessing that the inspectors are checking the network cabling (which makes up the largest quantity of cable), and not really caring about the coax / audio cable (only a few runs to a couple of conference rooms).

I've tried to contact electical inspectors to see what their thoughts are, but they never seem to return calls.

I have only ever run plenum coax once. it was very expensive. I dont think if you had the cable/sat company do it they would use plenum either. How many cables are we talking about? I would say use the Non-plenum cable if it is just a couple. Unless the customer wants it and wants to pay 4x for it.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

I agree, I doubt the cable company carries around plenum rated RG6, especially at that price. There are only 5 runs of coax to some TVs in a large commercial office. It's the first time working with the inspectors in the area, and don't know if they'll be that picky (wouldn't think so). Personally, I would expect that with around 200 network runs, they will check that and the for proper support, and forget the rest, considering it makes up 99% of the bulk of the cable.
The 16/2 audio cable is used in a couple of conference rooms, but plenum rated 16/2 is only around 25% more in cost.

Being a hospital, thats all we run. With one area being plenum and the next not, we make every run on every cable plenum. Yes, it is more expensive. But they should not have to special order it. I use Accu-Tech for mine. They should have around 13,000 in stock (of the cable I use anyway).

If you need their contact it is 1-800-432-0325 ext. 111.

Tell him Mikey sent you and he will take care of you on the pricing.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

I have no problem getting the PL coax from my main supplier,they even give me custom lengths,according to the project,that I may require.
Of course,Pl is more expensive and with the constant rising of copper,it is not getting any cheaper,so I normally buy more than I need and keep the rest in stock when I can.

Good Luck

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

The issue isn't whether you're only running a limited number of cables or a large number. The issue is that NEC requires plenum-rated cable in plenum spaces because of life/safety issues. If you feel the need to gamble with someone else's health/life, then by all means break the law and try to save a few bucks. Otherwise, do what's required and expected of a professional installer.

I work as a telcom contractor in texas and we have a few rolls of rg6 plenum but we only use it in the food and hospital industry only as that is what the code calls for. I have run across a few buildings in these industrys where the is regular rg6 run and we do not have to run plenum because the building never had it and is grandfathered into the old codes.

Wm. Reynolds
Premise Communications
Texas Public Safety Solutions

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

I ended up getting a hold of an electrical inspector of a neighboring city, in which the requirements are a over-all more stringent. They check all of the low-voltage, regardless of the number of runs, and purpose (15pin video cables, audio, etc..), to ensure that they are plenum rated (if in a plenum space, in which this is). I placed an order for a 1000ft box box of plenum rated RG6 this morning to make sure that things would be covered. I did happen to see some other coax that was in the suite, about 100ft or so, coiled up coming from the floor electrical closet. And... it was just CMX rated (outdoor / general purpose). So regardless of what they are going to require, we'll be in good shape.

However, responses such as Mikeydidit, and especially reynolwi are exatly what I was looking for.

I'll have to check on reynolwi's point of grandfathering on cabling issues.

Thanks guys!

A few companie that I have worked for have been bitten by that "grandfather" rule. Depending on the inspector, if an area is being renovated in the least, they will make that space come up to code or keep failing you.
You may want to have a what if scenario in place should you get a strict inspector.

As for the plenum or not to plenum, it is specified for a reason. Some rules can be bent, but health and safety should always come first.

mk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back