Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using Arcserve 7 for Netware? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2001
GB
I want to install Arcserve 7 for Netware butI have heard some bad reports about it. is anyone out there using it?

We are migrating from NetWare 4.11 to NetWare 5.1 and also upgrading from Arcserve 6.61 for NetWare to Arcserve 7 for NetWare. Despite a couple of teething problems (nothing the CA website and a couple of patches didn't solve), we do not have any issues at all. All of our servers are backing up ok.

I started installing Arcserve 7 for Netware (& the TLO) on a fully patched 5.1 server a couple of days ago. It didn't work instantly but thats what I expected. Most of the problems have been resolved with patches from the CA website. I still have a few minor problems, but I am sure they will be easily solved. The only issue I have with Arcserve in general is it can be time consuming to initially get it up and running (applying patches etc.). I have found less problems installing this version than with version 6.6 for Netware.

We had a high Server Utilisation after installing 7, but by fully patching the server its running like a dream!

Folks,

We are having a nightmare time getting ArcServe 7 up and running in a Netware 5.0 environment, with Windows 2000 workstations. We find the interface to be extremely counterintuitive, buggy, and difficult to configure and operate in a mixed IP and IPX environment. ArcServe is fully patched as of three weeks ago.

Additionally, we find the documentation to be sadly lacking.

Any help for the following problems would be greatly appreciated:

1. Cannot see the pending jobs in the Job Queue window. I only get a list of all jobs that have completed and details about their status (Job Type, Job ID, completion status - Failed, Unknown, Finished - other details). In ArcServe 6.6 the pending jobs were all available in this window and it was easy to make changes to them. Right now in order to make changes, we have to create and submit an all-new job. And then go to the server and delete the existing job that it replaces, since the pending jobs are not visible in the manager software.

2. Restores are impossible as the file details do not show up anywhere in the Manager interface. When I choose "Restore by session" I get a list of media. Clicking on the media reveals sessions on that particular media, but clicking on the session leaves me with NO further information whatsoever.

We have been back and forth with several CA support techs and with a higher level CA engineer, and are rapidly reaching the point at which we will write off the money we spent to upgrade and move to the Veritas product instead.

Would appreciate any insight anyone here can give into either of those problems.

-----------
eusebius

On issue #1, the Arcserve 7 gui seems to respond differently
on various O/s types. If you have a Win98 machine around, try that. I have tried Win2K, Win98 and Win/Xp with different results on each.

On issue #2, try doing a merge of the tape that you are trying to restore from. That should rebuild you file details that are on the tape.

Good luck

Issue 1: A bug that has been around ever since CA took over Arcserve from Cheyenne. Was first noticed on Arcserve for NT. No news from CA as to a fix (that I know of)

Issue 2: As already suggested by mmceniry, a tape merge may help, but it may be that the backup details are not getting merged into the Arcserve database -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Issue 1: The Arcserve Manager doesn't always refresh correctly. After creating your job(s), try exiting and getting back in. I usually start Arcserve Manager, than go to File...Select Server...than go to the job status window. I also use the server console to verify jobs in the queue.

Issue 2: I had the same problem. With a paid Incident to Arcserve, we were able to fix it. Whats happening is Arcserve says the merge is successfull, but doesn't actually merge the data into the database. I bet if you look in the arcserve/database/dbscan directory, you have a bunch of .sav files of 0k in size. This happens because there aren't enough resources for btrieve engine. The fix is to make the following changes to your BTI.CFG file and reboot the server. MaxFiles=200. cachesize=65536. maxdatabases=100. backgroundthreads=64. maxworkerthreads=64. rename the PVSW.log file under system directory. rename log folder under system/mkde directory and create new empty log folder. Go into Arcserve Manager...Server Admin and under database tab, select the merge all details checkbox. Reboot server for settings to take effect. Backup jobs should now merge. Anything previous will have to be remerged. THIS WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS PROBLEM!!!

For the second issue. I went through the same darn thing with 6.6 and it killed me. I called CA and they acted like it was no big deal. In anycase it is a btrieve problem with not having enough resources to merge the tape into the DB. Make the changes listed about to the BTI.cfg file. If that still doesn't work (one of my servers still didn't) edit the arcserve.inf file and change the 4096 entry toward teh bottom to 32000 (whatever 32 megs is (32*1024)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back