Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone Taken the 2 exams for MCSE 2003 yet? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCSE2003

Technical User
Jun 13, 2004
US
Has anyome taken the 70-292 & 70-296 exams yet? I would like to hear you stories? how did you study? how many times you took the exams? etc...

I passed 70-296 on thursday! Believe it or not i got through with exactly 700 points! didn't you do that too mcse2003? It was the second time i had taken the 296, i had already taken and passed the 292 with 850 points so i am a very happy about it. To date i now have:

A+
Network +
MCSA 2000
MCSE 2000
MCSA 2003
MCSE 2003

Now i'm going to take Server+ and Security+ and then move onto the Cisco track and work my way up to the top. Hey you've always got to aim high and see where you land ;)

The day i took the exam i left work early and was taking a 14hr road trip to San Diego for the weekend, so it was a double bonus when i got through. I was hoping to hook up with some connections in the city while i was there but everyone was too busy partying :) (myself included)

The funny thing is that technically until i send a copy of my drivers liscence to microsoft, i have gained neither of these certs. When i moved to America and took the 292, for some reason they went ahead and put it on a new MCP ID (doh!) I've already worked it out with them and will probably sort it out today but it was just funny to recieve an email congratulating my on my first MCP. heheh

Oh i forgot to mention, I used the Sybex books which were really good, and bought a transcender from PrepLogic. BE WARNED it was absolute junk, questions made no sense, there were some answers just missing, and there were literally one line explanations on answers. I then bought one from Self test software and it was superb. Cheaper than transcenders.com and just as good. There is even a link to it on the prometric website which gave me some faith in it.

I did just pass with a 700.. hummmmmmmmmmmm ! it seems like everyone is passing the 70-296 with a 700 score... I passed on june 11th , 2004

Man did my heart catch in my throat when i saw my score, thats the second time i have done that in a microsoft exam, lol

passed 292 1st time with 880.... took less than 1 hour including sign-in/sign-out, etc...

went very well with my self-study planning; but they had a couple "trick" questions that I noticed which may have meant that I missed some of the others... seemed like a fair balance of all of the subjects listed in MS's test overview webpage...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Nice one JTB!!! how you doing mate? i'm in a good mood because i just got a job offer in Covina, California!! Network admin... see, these certs pay off when combined with experience, a very positive attitude and a carefully written resume..

ahhh happy happy joy joy..

Congrats on the job offer!!! We're proud of you!!

Certs, degrees, winner's attitude, etc. are all part of the successful IT worker's total package...

I know that when my attitude changed, so did my career... When my attitude was bright, my career improved. When I was depressed about not enough pay, crappy cow-orkers, etc, I did poorly...

Finally figured it out... Now I am doing a lot better and by the Grace of God and my due diligence, I will be improving some things every year (even if the pay raises aren't 10 percent or even 5 percent or even there at all)...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

70-292 was very tough lots and lots on remote assistance and terminal services (almost felt like a citrix exam) I found it easy because of the experince citrix and having a cca. This is a very tough exam Sybex has a combo book I found it really helpful.

70-296 was easier then I expected. I think Microsoft should make this exam a lot harder. A lot of repeat meterial from 70-292

Ben A

MCSE 2000:Security
MCSe 2003

Ben,

Your posting shows the versatility of MS tests... the more well-prepared one is, the easier the test seems...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

The worse part about 70-296 is it is 2 sections and you must get a passing score in each section the sections are suppose to be admin and planning but it is really blurred. There will be about 5 easy questions and then the rest are the meat of the exam I think each section has approx 20 questions and you can miss 4 per section. I took it in April they might have changed it sense then

depends on whether prometric or vue... prometric was 1 section, about 50 questions, had to score above 700 or so... we'll see how I do next time after I finish cleaning up the back yard... (yes, there are things outside of IT in my life)

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

lol jtb..
2 months later but lol all the same.
readying myself for
294, 293, 297 . . .
looks easy when written like that... :)
any quick tips .... ?

will let u know....
David

Status