Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone Successfully Using Reporting Services like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrimej

Programmer
Dec 22, 2004
US
I am looking for a way, perhaps through the SQL Server 2005 report web service? of generating web reports accessible on a webserver in my DMZ.

Scenerio is that my sql / reporting server is on my lan and the reports are available directly from my report server using Windows authentication.

The sql server does not have a public IP address and
is not exposed to the public internet.
I want to create a secure website on my web server in my DMZ that will allow the public to access reports I create from my report server.

I have tried for the past week using VS.Net 2005, the built in ReportViewer Control, and an ASP.Net Web App accessing the ReportingService2005 web service on my Report Server to get this to work.

Internally I am ok, however when I try to access the report via the public site I get a 401 access denied error. I have tried (more than likely not correctly) to use impersonation. I am getting a little mixed up on how to impersonate on my intranet when the web service is running in the dmz and knows nothing of the domain\user I am trying to impersonate.

Is there a way to do this. If so, could anyone direct me to information on how to go about it. I have information on using the reportviewer control in an asp.net page, but that still requires the browser client to have access to the report server through a dmz.

Is anyone doing anything similar to this. If so could you point me towards the correct combination of the following:

1) Authentication Method in Web.Config
2) Identity tag information in Web.Config.
3) Which Report Service web service if any do I need to use, ReportService2005.asmx or ReportExecution2005.asmx
4) Any special credentialcache or authentication I need to supply in the asp.net app
5) On the web server
a) should Anonymous access be on or off
b) should basic access be on or off
c) should I supply the account which IIS runs under and if so how can I supply a domain account when the web server is in the dmz
6) Anything else I may be overlooking or is there a totally different way to go about this.

I know this is a lengthy post with a lot of detail, but I can't believe a web based reporting server is unable to publish those reports to the internet through a dmz. Someone else must be doing this?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Jeremy

Not sure if you've resolved this one. I am working through something similar and have the following solution.

1.Set up Impersonation in your web.config using
<identity impersonate="true"/>

2.Create a web ref to Reportservice.asmx. (I have used this rather than reportservice2005 or reportexecute for now )

3. Create a new NT user account, give this user access to your report in report manager, then use the following couple of lines of code to log onto the report server as that user.

Dim rs As New ReportingService
rs.Credentials = New NetworkCredential("User", "pwd", "domain")

4. I have then used the the render method of the web service to display the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back