Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone successfully installed RH9/FC on SCSI HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satchi

Programmer
Sep 15, 2003
US
Hello, I have been having trouble installing either FC3 or RH9 on this SCSI hard drive in my new Dell Precision 470.

Basically the hard drive came w/ WinXP and I used Partition Magic 7 to resize it to 2 partitions. There is only one hdd so no RAID was done. Here are the errors that I get:

When I begin installing FC3, it freezes when loading the SCSI controller driver aic79xx. I even waited for 1 hour so I know that it's not responding. I believe the controller is Adaptec made, and their website doesn't seem to have updates for my situation.

For Redhat 9, it goes into installation screen ok, but it won't detect any drives and aborts installation.

Please, any help is appreciated. I've been researching online as well, but I have not found the answer.

Thanks in advance.

hmm.. Adaptec is quite used in servers and ussualy there is no problem using it.

I recommend you to boot with a linux liveCD (as knoppix, ubuntu liveCD or suse liveCD) and issue a
[tt]lspci
lspci -n
lspci -v[/tt]

(or boot with FC3 in rescue mode)

in order to know the model of your card and if they gonna be correctly recognised. After knowing the exact model, download the correct driver from (and see how to make a driver diskette) in order to load it in installation time.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back