Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anyone recommend a good multimeter for computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOriginalDogbyte

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2007
US
not just a regular multimeter, but one that might come with software for data logging and built in capacity to test capacitors and/or diode tester. with milliamp capability and all the rest of the normal functions, temp, continuity, ohm resistance...ect. anyone out there that has a favorite one? or one they know of that i can start researching?

edfair??? LawnBoy??? gbaughma??? These are just a few of our resident general electronics guri that may be able to steer you in the right direction. Me, I'm a pocket analog meter guy...

Tony

"...an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind" - M.L. King

I don't know of any handheld device that has all those functions built-in. BTW, you can check diodes and caps with a standard ohmmeter.

I've always favored Fluke meters.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

I've never heard of RadioLabs but that meter sure fits your shopping list.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

I have a couple of Tripletts, analog, pocket size and a couple of Radio Shack digitals bought off the surplus shelf because the cases were cracked. And a Sperry analog. And a couple of others.
Its not the tool, its what you know and how you use it.

Buy cheap. That way you won't cry when you drop it.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Lol, Ed's right on the money. I can't count how many LCD displays I've cracked by dropping the meter. Dozens, at least.

haha you said it Ed.

ive never seen any cracked ones at radio shack, might have to start asking.

RadioLabs makes a brilliant wireless network amplified antenna. Amazing stuff, it tripled the signal at my house, I have 1/2 acre yard and get great reception anywhere.

Thanks for jumping in Ed & LawnBoy.

Tony

"...an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind" - M.L. King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back