Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know where I can find pointers on how to applyu and make bleeds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2001
US
I have a project that consists making phone cards. I have finished the graphic and placed it in Quark. Apparently they also want me to make 1/8" bleeds on each of the three cards and place crop marks. I'm sorry but I am "pre-press" challenged. Anyone know of resources, plugins or concise tutorials on the matter?

Thank you in advance,

Manny

There is a Xtension called Crop Marks you can buy, which will add crop marks for you. Or you could make the page the right size and then when you go to print the job turn registration marks on. Or you could make them up yourself.

You could email it to me if it is not to big, I will create them for you.

matt@eaglemoss.co.uk

Thank you for the reply Matthew, but to be exact the making the bleeds are the most important thing to me.

Thanks. :)

Are you printing these cards 1up on 81/2 x 11?

Anyway, an easy way to do bleeds is to make yer PSHOP graphic 1/4 inch larger on all sides when you creat it , or just enlarge it if the design is already done.

When you import it into Quark, position it at

x -.25
y -.25

this will give you a bleed of 1/4 inch on all sides (if your doc size is set to the final size you need it)

If you are doing phone cards, I would make the Doc 8-up( this means having 8 copies on one page...it saves paper and time)
When you set them 8-up, they should be butted next to each other so that when you cut them you;ll make less cuts..............this is where your BLEEDS and CROPS come in.....

Just hand make your CROP MARKS.....make their point size .25 and Make them REGISTRATION INK instead of black....

If you use the STEP AND REPEAT command you can do the entire CROP MAKING process in about 30 seconds......You just want them about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in on all sides.....this will give you a nice clean full bleed when you cut them down.

Happy cropping.................I hope all that makes some sense........

MM

Hello Mothman,

First, thanks for your response.
Also please forgive the plethora of questions.

Sounds like it makes sense to me.
In regards to enlarging the cards as they are, wouldn't I have to redo the graphic so that parts of the card that were not intended to be cut off like type and parts of the image that are pertinent are unaffected?
As for adding 1/4" to the initial graphic, Wouldn't I have to design the image with the bleed marks in mind? Like use rulers for help on placement of text and the sort?

And yes, I was planning to place 8 cards on page.
Is there anywhere you might suggest where I can find a sample, or quark page that has crop marks and the sort that you mention particular to the scenario for the phone cards that I can emulate or learn from?

Thank you kindly,

Manny

You mentioned that have finished the graphic and placed it in Quark. Where Has the Graphic come from? Freehand, Photoshop. Create the bleed there and you don’t have to change the position of the image. Your doc size should be the final size not with bleed make your pitcher box .25 bigger thenfinal size bleed over .125 on all four sides you don’t mention the size of this doc and a layout can quickly be made. It also depends how many colors and what kind of rip your printer is going to use . you should contact the printer directly for further info.

I'll e-mail you a QUARK file set up with crops if you like......Are you on MAC or Windows?

Give me the dimensions of yer card and I'll make a template for you to refer to as a guide.

Thanks to both, especially mothman.
Mothman, may I email you a sample quark file?

Thank you for being so generous!

Manny

If you aren't on a MAC, just send me the graphic as a JPEG.........I'll set up a sample, send it back to ya and you can copy it.....
If you're on a MAC, send the QUARK file and the graphic EPS

jleone@cfl.rr.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back