Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know where I can download a basic compiler? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewvampire

Programmer
Feb 13, 2001
US
I am looking to get into basic but first I will need all the utilities, I know some of the language but not much. If someone could please tell me where to find a decent compiler and a place that could sort of teach me the BASIC language.

Considering the name of the thread, I assume you want to do good old QBasic or (PC Basic) or whatever other name it goes under these days. If so, try looking for a 6-10 year old product called QuickBasic. It compiles! Probably can be had at some 2nd hand software shop for $20 US. FYI, QBasic is actually a subset of QuickBasic, which is a grandchild of Dartmouth Basic. (Original BASIC) There are also, other brands of Basic, most of which are no longer being sold.
Forturately we evolved into VisualBasic & VBA (VB for Applications, etc).
As for references, I learned from 2 texts called "Basic Basic" & "Advanced Basic" some 25 years ago.
FYI, If you are trying to do comples OS stuff like create your own command.com, give it up. I say this because I just read a threat w/ that consept. QBasic & its close relatives are NOT going to replace an OS. The rely too heavily on the OS in place. Try the C family.
Good luck...
7ony

The best version of BASIC for you depends on what you are going to be using it for.
If you plan to use it for graphcis and games, then try Dark Basic
If you are going to build programs that require advanced math then use Qbasic
Word Processors use BASICA.
While no version of basic is know for being easy to write GUIs in Vbasic and Qbasic will be the best for that.

There are many books on all versions of BASIC and if you type it in the address bar i guarentee you will find a tutorial site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back