Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know what Winzkjt.exe is? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkcg

Programmer
Dec 10, 2001
US
On my father-in law's computer (Win2K Pro, SP1) there is a program running in the Task Manager called Winkzjt.exe. I have searched Google, MSN, Yahoo!, and here for anything and don't get a single hit. Any ideas on what this is? It will occasionally (about every 8 seconds) take up to 99% of the CPU usage, though it is using less than 4MB of memory.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Hawk

OK,
I am trying to recall, but I believe I saw that process when my system had two viruses.

The W32/Klez and it's newer variation. Was a pain to clean up, but McAfee did a good job.

I may be wrong, but that sounds familiar, it will create a bunch of processes with weird 3-letter combinations at end of name, and make them service class processes, or un-killable from task manager. If you get the process explorer you can kill it, to prevent it from propagating more .exe files on your hard drive, but get the antivirus software and definitions ASAP if this is what I think it is.

BTW, I got the virus as an email attachment from a friend, who never sent it to me. It was a hacked server, so tell your father to be careful.

JaDaar

JaDaar is correct. Wink*.exe is added as a result of a version of the KLEZ virsus. You need to get him the KLEZ "killer" from Symantec or one of the other anti-virus sites.

HTH

Thanks for your help. I am going back down there this weekend and will fix it then. He just bought Norton AV 2003, so hopefully that should clean it up.

Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back