Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know the answer to this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

virek

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
FR
I'm looking for a cheap (READ: like SNAP 1100) NAS solution with user-replaceable, preferably hot-plug, drives to solve this query.

I have a user with several servers in different locations that wants a small backup2disk system. Essentially, the servers are currently backed up by classic backup2tape solutions, but he wants to be able to do a week-end backup to disk, then on Monday replace the disk in the device to take the backup off-site. He will then perform the repeat operation the following week replacing the replacement disk with the original, ie swapping the disks over each weekend.

I've seen the iomega 200D which has cold-swap disks, but I need to understand the technical impilcations for the client, eg once the replacement drives are in the box what does he need to do next (format/partition/share etc).

Any ideas, or other products designed for this?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back