Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know if DOS can communicate with an access database (mdb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayoor

Programmer
Jan 16, 2004
GB
through SQL or if not SQL, any other method ?

Our EPOS system is DOS based and currently only allows us to maintain one price file (for over 150 branches).

We're going to change this to allow us to have regional price files (11 of them).

The EPOS system uses a Btrieve database which nobody in-house has any skillset in, however, if we can get the EPOS system to talk to an access DB just to gain these regional price files, the admin can be done by people much lower down the food chain... (saving me doing it)

It's running within windows so it's a cut down version, however, and prepare yourself for this.....

The DOS version is 1.97

I'm not sure of the comms, but the system uses an IP data collection utility which runs during the evening (from a central computer).

The only time these tables would need to be accessed by the routine above during the evenings and the db's could even be stored locally on that machine...

Ideally, all I'd like to see happen, is the routine to pick up which branch it's currently deploying data to, bypass the stock file to look at a regional price file for 3 fields, Sell1, Sell2 and Sell3, store these as a variable (maybe even create a temporary DOS file) then copy these to the relevant branches.

Any help would be appreciated!

hi

Have you thought of searching (Google) for a ODBC driver for the BTrieve database?, BTrieve was once quite common there may well be a driver.

Alternative thought, do the work in Access, export the data as a text file (to DOS system) and import it within the DOS system

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back