Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know anything about Google Maps? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyGroom

Programmer
May 23, 2001
GB
I'm trying to get a Google Map to appear in a WebBrowser object but for some reason it displays a layer of icons and text on top of the map which don't appear if you display the same map in a browser.

Save the HTML below as a file and then navigate to it in a WebBrowser control (WebBrowser1.Navigate2 "c:\the_html_below.htm")

Code:
<html>
<body style='margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px'>
<iframe width='100%' height='100%' frameborder=0 style='border:0' src="[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.google.com/maps/embed/v1/place?key=AIzaSyCNWTqxRNXNZBlhOTq7SRq2ZbmScks1wMY&q=DN15+9YE&zoom=16">[/URL]
</iframe>
</body>
</html>

I know this more of a Google Maps question than VB but I wondered if anyone here had any ideas?

- Andy

I suspect the problem is caused by the web browser control. It is based on some very old version of internet explorer (5 or 6). When you view this page in a modern browser, it looks fine, but in that super old browser, not so fine.

I took a couple minutes to look through the embed api. The display looks good if you use the view mode, but this requires you to know the latitude and longitude and you don't get a marker on the map. Every other mode displays the ugly stuff.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

I just followed the advice in this document and it worked for me.

Specifically, I modified my registry and added a dword VB6.exe and set the value to 9999 (decimal).

I then closed VB6 ide and opened again. When I ran it, the display was no longer uglied up by clutter. I don't know if you will be able to use this method because there are lots of problems with changing registry settings (mostly permissions), but I would encourage you to at least investigate it.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thanks gmmastros that worked perfectly. I set the value to 10001 because Skype had registered itself in there with that value and the maps appear correctly now (even thought I'm only on IE8).

- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back