Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anyone in the Central FL Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtruitt0708

Technical User
Dec 29, 2017
US
anyone in the central FL area. PM me please.

an install in a private residence under construction

i have purchased the following components for install

Legend - W/CKE5
4-408 GS/LS-MLX
Merlin Messaging
6-10 line Merlin phones
6-5 line Merlin phones
1-34 with speaker phone add on.

the build has yet to begin, but expected to be completed by Dec of 2018.

A couple of questions about the parts list.

Will the phone service at the house utilize Caller ID? If so, the board listed doesn't support it.

Are the phones listed above ATLs or MLXs?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

i have to believe that you are missing the most basic programming telset, and that will require the use of spm. if you truly have a 34 button telephone with an auxilliary speaker phone, i believe that type would require an atl port. you may have a hodgepodge assortment of merlin parts that are not all compatible

i was not planning to use caller id.
phones are ATLs, due to the client liking the styling of the ATLs.

no legend programming telephone...no atl telephone ports

As listed, the system will not function as intended. You will need to add modules/boards that support the desired number ATL phones. In addition, an MLX-20L will be needed for programming purposes.

I understand that the customer desires a Legend telephone system so the ATL sets can be used. If I could offer any advice, I would float the idea of going with an Avaya Partner ACS R8 with an Avaya Partner Messaging voicemail, Euro II 34D button console phone and the rest could be Euro II 6D or 18D sets.

The Partner ACS is much easier to program than the Legend and is much more forgiving to reconfigurations than the Legend and Magix.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

If going with an answering machine over a voicemail system is acceptable, a Merlin 820 (breadbox) controller could be substituted, or even a Merlin Plus (820D2) would be another alternative. Either way, these classic Merlin telephone systems are very old and not getting any younger.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

will the mlx-20 only be needed for programming, or will it need to remain on the system to function? Client obtained modules to support the ATS. they want those for design esthetic purposes.

the mlx 20 is the most basic device that can perform system programming. in addition, the mlx 20 is the ideal primary answering position telephone. besides that, it is, in my opinion, the boss choice of any of the telephones designed to work with merlin legend or merlin magix, either as attendant console or regular/executive work station phone. i'm not trying to sell you one. i'm just sayin...

I would leave the MLX 20 connected at all times. It can be placed in a non-critical area....unused bedroom for instance....and left alone. I would avoid the temptation to remove the phone because you don't want someone to come along and try to plug an ATL phone in later on.

I, myself, am partial to the 4400 series phones used with the Merlin Magix.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Thank you, I had a "not so great week" but this thread made me laugh.
Installing an almost 20 year old phone system is rather funny.
You must have gotten that for really cheap.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

thanks for the help guys. Client likes the ATS models and has a small business he runs from home, so the features of the system work good for him. So is anyone in the area that can help with the install once his home has begun construction and completed?

If there aren't any installers on this board who are in that area, I would check for the names of local Authorized Avaya Business Partners and reach out to them.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back