Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone heard of a good Serial ATA Raid 5 4 or more disk solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogk

MIS
Jun 18, 2003
US
I am looking to design a backup solution based on a set of 4 or 5 serial ata drives (preferably in hot swap trays and an external enclosure running Raid 5. Anyone know the latest scoop on availability of Serial ATA RAID cards and drives and pre built external enclosures?

The low end controllers are predominately from Adaptec and Promise. The better class of controller is from 3Ware, it does a superior job of overlapping reads and much better write performance. Depends on what you are looking for. I personally would spend the extra $300 or so and go with the 3Ware product.

When looking at SATA for backup Have the following info available for vendors when shopping.
Number of disks, rack or desktop enclosure, redundant power or not, hot swap disks or not. Proximaty of external SATA enclosure to the SATA controller in the server. Total immeadiate desired useable capacity of the storage subsystem and the forecasted need for expansion. Operating system, revision and patch level. What kind of warranty do you want? Years? On-site? Advance replace? Is management and event notification from the connected system the only requirement? Do you require remote management and event notification?

Do you really want the backup directly attached or would a SATA/NAS solution do the trick with a little more down road flexability?

After all of that, I invite you to call Steve (877-434-6483 toll free) if you wish to get some numbers on a solution we could provide.

Hope this helped

Dick C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back